AK ASSURES ON WILD CARDS: Tuwei says selection to Olympic squad will be fair to all athletes

World 400m champion Nicholas Bett takes a feel of the running track at the newly refurbished Kipchoge Stadium, Eldoret ahead of National Olympics trials.[PHOTO:DENNIS OKEYO/STANDARD]

Kenyan Olympic selections have always been dogged by controversies over the years, with some cases proceeding to court.

And it remains to be seen whether Athletics Kenya (AK) will bring such disputes to an end - which have in the past created bad blood between the athletes and the federation - when they pick Kenya’s team to Rio Olympic Games today and tomorrow.

AK have confirmed that the first two athletes in every race to cross the line at the Olympics trials in Eldoret will earn automatic slots to the Samba nation gala in August 5-21 while the third slot will be decided by coaches wild card.

There is fear among top athletes on the criteria of awarding wild cards, with some athletes claiming that double standards could be employed in deciding who will be given the ticket despite not finishing in the top two positions.

“I have heard some AK officials saying they will consider certain athletes who competed in Africa Championships for wild cards and some in long distances who have performed well abroad. So, if they can do that then what’s the need for trials? Let reason prevail,” said an athlete, who declined to be named for fear of victimisation.

But AK President Jackson Tuwei said they will ensure a fair selection, “that would help the nation harvest medals in Rio.”

“We will take all the top three positions expect in instances where we feel a top form athlete accidentally lost out either by getting tripped in the race or any other special case. Olympics remain an important competition for us all,” said Tuwei.

Kenyan selections have a long history with some cases degenerating into legal battles.

In 2,000, the Court of Appeal ordered the then Kenya Amateur Athletics Association (now Athletics Kenya), the National Olympic Steering Committee and National Olympic of Kenya (Nock) to include Eric Keter, who had been dropped from the Sydney Olympics team, to be reinstated.

Keter was set to represent the country in 400m hurdles.

Tuwei also said foreign athletes from Uganda, Tanzania and Sudan, who had requested to be allowed to participate in the trials since their countries have no trials, will compete.

“We will allow them to compete in 1,500m races and other races without lanes (3,000m sc, 5,000m and 10,000m),” said Tuwei.

Yesterday, Nock chairman Kipchoge Keino said Rio bound athletes in weightlifting, rugby, archery, tae kwo ndo and boxing will be present in trials.

Share this story
Anest Karegi: One-handed man baffling villagers with soccer pitch exploits
When a posho mill crushed the hand of a young man in Ndeiya Limuru, the world seemed to have come to a stand still to a man known for his exploits on the football pitch
Pereira 'trusts' Forest owner Marinakis despite three sackings this season
Vitor Pereira said he trusts Nottingham Forest owner Evangelos Marinakis despite becoming the fourth manager of the Premier League side this season.
Mexico prepares for possible drone threats during the World Cup
The Mexican military is preparing to confront the potential threat of unauthorised drones in stadiums used for this summer's football World Cup.
Arteta welcomes Madueke and Saka's competition for places
Arteta believes Arsenal and England "get the benefit" from the friendly rivalry between Bukayo Saka and Noni Madueke as the duo battle to start for both club and country.
Barcelona's Raphinha blasts La Liga refereeing double standards
Barcelona winger Raphinha lashed out at perceived refereeing double standards in La Liga on Tuesday after his side fell to a 2-1 defeat at Girona.
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS