Moyes 'deeply regrets' slap threat to female reporter

Gossip & Rumours
By AFP | Apr 03, 2017
David Moyes told Vicki Sparks to be 'careful' next time she visits the Stadium of Light

Sunderland manager David Moyes said Monday he "deeply regrets" threatening to slap a female BBC reporter.

Earlier on Monday, Premier League strugglers Sunderland had issued an apology on behalf of Moyes for the remarks he made to Vicki Sparks after a goalless Premier League draw at home to Burnley on March 18.

Moyes, speaking at a press conference on Monday, said: "It was in the heat of the moment. I deeply regret the comments I made.

"That's certainly not the person I am. I've accepted the mistake. I spoke to the BBC reporter, who accepted my apology."

Sparks had asked if Sunderland owner Ellis Short's presence at the Burnley game meant Moyes was under additional pressure, with the Black Cats yet again involved in a battle against relegation.

Video footage published by the Daily Star newspaper showed Scottish boss Moyes replying, "No, none at all" before the interview concluded.

However, the former Everton and Manchester United manager, believing he was off camera, added: "You were just getting a wee bit naughty at the end there, so just watch yourself. You still might get a slap even though you're a woman.

"Careful the next time you come in."

- 'Inexcusable' -

Both Moyes and Sparks were seen laughing at this point and the reporter herself did not make a complaint.

Former England striker turned television football broadcaster Gary Lineker was among those who took to Twitter on Monday to criticise Moyes's behaviour, saying: "Moyes incident highlights a tendency for some managers to treat interviewers with utter disdain. Pressured job. Well rewarded. Inexcusable."

Meanwhile Britain's Women in Football, an umbrella group for women working in and around football, including female journalists, responded Monday by urging England's governing Football Association to help rid the game of sexism by "educating" managers.

"We are deeply disappointed and concerned by the threatening language used by Sunderland manager David Moyes towards BBC reporter, Vicki Sparks," said a WIF statement. "We are calling on the FA to help educate football managers against this type of behaviour."

A WIF spokeswoman added: "We are pleased that David Moyes has apologised. No one should be made to feel threatened in the workplace for simply doing their job.

"We hope that the football authorities will work with us to educate football managers and those working within the game to prevent this kind of behaviour."

Meanwhile the FA said it was "seeking observations" from Sunderland regarding the incident.

A Sunderland spokesman said earlier Monday: "David and the reporter spoke to one another subsequently and the matter was resolved amicably."

The BBC added the matter had been resolved, with a spokesman saying: "Mr Moyes has apologised to our reporter and she has accepted his apology."

Sunderland remained bottom of the table and eight points adrift of safety after Saturday's 1-0 loss to Watford. They travel to resurgent champions Leicester on Tuesday.

Share this story
China claims two snow golds at Milan-Cortina Winter Olympics
China claimed two golds on snow at the Milan-Cortina Winter Olympics on Wednesday, while Norway's cross-country sensation Johannes Hoesflot Klaebo raised his Winter Olympic gold medal tally to ten.
Sevilla coach Almeyda banned for seven games after clash with referee
Sevilla coach Matias Almeyda has been banned for seven matches after his red card last weekend during a La Liga draw with Alaves.
All World Cup matches sold out, says FIFA's Infantino
All 104 matches of the 2026 World Cup will be "sold out," FIFA president Gianni Infantino says, even though tickets are still available ahead of the June 11 kickoff.
Bodo-Glimt stun Inter, Gordon hits four in Newcastle Champions League romp
Norway's Bodo/Glimt stunned Inter Milan in the Champions League, beating last season's runners-up 3-1 in the first leg of their knockout phase play-off tie
Kenyan esports star Kappa lands a professional deal in Morocco
The top two players in eBotola League will earn direct qualification to the Esports World Cup in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, scheduled for July 2026.
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS