Toure fined Sh6.9m for drink driving

Football
By The Standard | Dec 15, 2016
[PHOTO: COURTESY]

Ivory Coast football great Yaya Toure has been banned from driving for 18 months and fined £54,000 (Sh6.9m) for drink driving, he said on Facebook on Tuesday.

The 33-year-old Manchester City midfielder insisted though he imbibed the alcohol by accident.

Toure, a four-time African player of the Year and a member of the Ivory Coast side that won the 2015 Africa Cup of Nations, is a Muslim.

“Over the last two weeks there has been some confusion as to why I was charged with drink driving, as it is well known that I am a Muslim and do not drink,” wrote Toure, who was stopped last month while driving in east London and found to be over the limit. “I have always refused alcohol. Anyone who knows me or follows football will have seen me refuse champagne for Man of the Match performances because of my commitment to my religion.”

Toure, who retired from international football in September, said the court had also accepted he had not intentionally drunk alcohol but had nevertheless punished him according to the law. Toure did not disclose how the alcohol got into his system.

“The matter has now been resolved in court on Monday,” wrote Toure, who only recently returned to first team action with Manchester City after a stand-off with manager Pep Guardiola caused by his agent.

“As I was above the permitted limit when tested on the night, I decided not to challenge the charge.

“However, it was important to me that I told the court that I had not intentionally consumed alcohol. “The judge in his sentencing remarks accepted that I had not been intentionally drinking.

“Drink driving is a serious crime and even though I was not intentionally consuming alcohol I accept the ban.”

Share this story
China claims two snow golds at Milan-Cortina Winter Olympics
China claimed two golds on snow at the Milan-Cortina Winter Olympics on Wednesday, while Norway's cross-country sensation Johannes Hoesflot Klaebo raised his Winter Olympic gold medal tally to ten.
Sevilla coach Almeyda banned for seven games after clash with referee
Sevilla coach Matias Almeyda has been banned for seven matches after his red card last weekend during a La Liga draw with Alaves.
All World Cup matches sold out, says FIFA's Infantino
All 104 matches of the 2026 World Cup will be "sold out," FIFA president Gianni Infantino says, even though tickets are still available ahead of the June 11 kickoff.
Bodo-Glimt stun Inter, Gordon hits four in Newcastle Champions League romp
Norway's Bodo/Glimt stunned Inter Milan in the Champions League, beating last season's runners-up 3-1 in the first leg of their knockout phase play-off tie
Kenyan esports star Kappa lands a professional deal in Morocco
The top two players in eBotola League will earn direct qualification to the Esports World Cup in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, scheduled for July 2026.
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS