Liverpool sign Southampton striker Mane

Football
By AFP | Jun 28, 2016

Senegal striker Sadio Mane has joined Liverpool from Premier League rivals Southampton on a "long-term contract" for an undisclosed fee, the Anfield club announced Tuesday.

British media reports suggested Mane had signed a five-year contract in a deal worth some £30 million ($40 million, 36 million euros).

That would make Mane, who scored 25 goals in 75 appearances for the Saints, Liverpool's third-most expensive signing behind fellow strikers Andy Carroll (£35 million) and Christian Benteke (£32.5 million).

"Today is a big day and I am very happy to sign for one of the biggest clubs in Europe," Mane told Liverpool's website. "It's a club that has won a lot of trophies and has a big history.

"Now I am looking forward to meeting all the staff and my team-mates and starting the season."

Southampton finished sixth in the Premier League last season, two places above Liverpool.

But in terms of history, supporter base and finance, five-time European champions Liverpool remain a significantly 'bigger' club than the Saints.

Mane is the fourth player signed by Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp in pre-season, with the striker following centre-back Joel Matip, midfielder Marko Grujic and goalkeeper Loris Karius to Merseyside.

There have been reports that Liverpool are prepared to help finance the Mane deal by selling Belgium forward Benteke, who failed to sparkle last term following his transfer from Aston Villa.

Mane -- who will bring Southampton a huge profit on the £10 million they paid Austrian side Salzburg in 2014 -- is the fifth Saints player to leave the south coast club for north-west side Liverpool in the past two seasons.

He will now find himself sharing a changing room at Anfield with fellow Southampton 'old boys' Adam Lallana, Dejan Lovren and Nathaniel Clyne.

Rickie Lambert, another former Southampton player, was also at Liverpool but has since moved on.

Mane, who scored 11 goals last term, is the second star name to leave managerless Southampton in the past week after Kenyan midfielder Victor Wanyama joined Tottenham Hotspur for £11 million.

Southampton, who did dip into the transfer market on Saturday by buying winger Nathan Redmond for £10 million from relegated Norwich City, have been without a manager since Dutch boss Ronald Koeman left to take over at Liverpool's city rivals Everton earlier this month.

Liverpool players who have not been involved in the European Championships are due to return for pre-season training on Saturday, with their first friendly the following Friday at nearby Tranmere.

Share this story
Sevilla coach Almeyda banned for seven games after clash with referee
Sevilla coach Matias Almeyda has been banned for seven matches after his red card last weekend during a La Liga draw with Alaves.
All World Cup matches sold out, says FIFA's Infantino
All 104 matches of the 2026 World Cup will be "sold out," FIFA president Gianni Infantino says, even though tickets are still available ahead of the June 11 kickoff.
Bodo-Glimt stun Inter, Gordon hits four in Newcastle Champions League romp
Norway's Bodo/Glimt stunned Inter Milan in the Champions League, beating last season's runners-up 3-1 in the first leg of their knockout phase play-off tie
Kenyan esports star Kappa lands a professional deal in Morocco
The top two players in eBotola League will earn direct qualification to the Esports World Cup in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, scheduled for July 2026.
Arteta urges Arsenal to 'stand up' after title bid rocked by Wolves draw
Mikel Arteta admitted Arsenal deserve criticism for the self-inflicted wounds that threaten to ruin their Premier League title bid after the leaders blew a two-goal lead
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS