Sergio Busquets admits he could be persuaded to leave Barcelona if Pep Guardiola came calling

Football
By Mirror | Feb 11, 2016

Sergio Busquets has hinted that Pep Guardiola could convince him to move to Manchester City.

The Barcelona star, who earlier this season was described by Luis Enrique as "the best midfielder in the world," is the subject of interest from Paris Saint-Germain and City.

His agent, Josep Maria Orobitg, has fielded contact over his client at an awkward time for the Nou Camp club, who are yet to hand the 27-year-old a new deal.

And Busquets has shocked his club by admitting that the lure of working with Guardiola again could convince him to move.

"I've always said that there are only two people that can change my decision to be here. One is my wife, who right now is here and is a Barcelona fan, so I don't think there is going to be a problem on a personal level," he told ESPN.

"On a sporting level the other person would be Guardiola.

"It's clear that I owe Guardiola a lot and for me to work with him would be an honour."

Busquets has been promised a new contract and significant salary hike by Barca, a subject he is understood to be relaxed about.

But the European champions, limited by their own strict internal financial controls, can't afford to bump up the midfielder's salary when they also need to hand raises to superstar pairing Neymar and Lionel Messi.

Busquets' current deal contains a release clause of €150million (£120million) which both City and PSG could afford to pay.

But the Spanish international attempted to dampen speculation by doubting that Guardiola would come after him.

"He knows that this is my club and his too, and that the best for me and the club is that I'm here and I don't think he's going to ask for me."

Share this story
China claims two snow golds at Milan-Cortina Winter Olympics
China claimed two golds on snow at the Milan-Cortina Winter Olympics on Wednesday, while Norway's cross-country sensation Johannes Hoesflot Klaebo raised his Winter Olympic gold medal tally to ten.
Sevilla coach Almeyda banned for seven games after clash with referee
Sevilla coach Matias Almeyda has been banned for seven matches after his red card last weekend during a La Liga draw with Alaves.
All World Cup matches sold out, says FIFA's Infantino
All 104 matches of the 2026 World Cup will be "sold out," FIFA president Gianni Infantino says, even though tickets are still available ahead of the June 11 kickoff.
Bodo-Glimt stun Inter, Gordon hits four in Newcastle Champions League romp
Norway's Bodo/Glimt stunned Inter Milan in the Champions League, beating last season's runners-up 3-1 in the first leg of their knockout phase play-off tie
Kenyan esports star Kappa lands a professional deal in Morocco
The top two players in eBotola League will earn direct qualification to the Esports World Cup in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, scheduled for July 2026.
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS