Kenya confirms one Mpox case, steps up surveillance at border

Health & Science
By Maryann Muganda and Jesse Sikali | Aug 07, 2024
Health PS Mary Muthoni during a meeting with the Joint committee of the National Assembly and Senate. [Boniface Okendo, Standard]

The Ministry of Health has confirmed one suspected case of Mpox and assured the public that the case was treated and has now recovered.

A truck driver was identified by Port health officers with a generalised rash at Taveta One Stop Border Point on July 22, 2024. The individual was reported having symptoms for two weeks prior.

"The patient was isolated at Taveta Sub-County Hospital where clinicians suspected either chickenpox or Mpox," said Health Principal Secretary Mary Muthoni in a statement Tuesday.

MoH said results from the National Public Health Laboratories detected Mpox on July 29, 2024 and validated by other reference laboratories in the national laboratory network. The patient is now fully recovered.

Owing to the infectiousness of Mpox and international guidelines for response, the Ministry of Health and the County Health Department of Taita Taveta began identifying all persons who had been in close contact with the patient.

Officials say they are tracing close contacts at his workplace, at the hospital where he was admitted and along his travel routes.

Health authorities say the patient had travelled through Uganda, Kenya, Tanzania and Rwanda and are working with neighbouring countries to identify any contacts and any other potential cases. There is an active Mpox outbreak in DRC, Burundi, Rwanda and Uganda, officials say.

Meanwhile, health officials in Busia have stepped up surveillance at the porous border following the detection of a patient with monkey pox.

Busia Deputy Governor and county executive for Health Arthur Odera said the surveillance with the help of the national government has been intensified along the border.

"After an alert was issued last week on the first case of monkey pox in Taita Taveta County, our health team and that of the national government have been on a high alert along the entry points," he said.

Busia health team has been well equipped to handle the scare and manage any case. "Our health officers are on high alert along the border and they are also well equipped to handle any other threat. We have secured the border that is porous and used by many East and Central African nations for trade," said Odera.

Busia County Director of Universal Health Coverage and acting director of preventive and promotive services Dr David Mukabi said teams have been set up in various border crossing points.

"Our surveillance on monkey-pox has been well advised and residents especially along the lake regions of Busia County have been sensitised," he said.

Share this story
Networks Open set for second season with Sh600,000 prize pool
More than Sh600,000 will be up for grabs when Networks Padel Village hosts the second edition of its Networks Open padel tournament from August 25 to 30.
Camm's steady rise in local and international championships
Teenage polo player Archie Camm continued his impressive rise by starring for Samurai at the Mug of Mugs Cup, earning MVP honours despite narrowly missing out on the title.
Kabeberi 7s gives KCB the perfect bounce-back
KCB bounced back from their Dala Sevens disappointment by successfully defending the Kabeberi Sevens title and reclaiming the National Sevens Circuit lead.
St Joseph's, Nyakach win to revive hopes of making knockouts
St Joseph’s Girls Kitale and Nyakach Girls revived their semi-final hopes at the 2026 East Africa Games with convincing football victories.
World champions Kiprono and Masai bag cross country gold
World Under-20 champion Emmanuel Kiprono and Venenza Masai led Kenya to cross-country gold sweeps at the 2026 FEASSA Games in Morogoro, Tanzania.
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS