PS, other top officials fail to clarify transition to new health scheme

Health & Science
By Mercy Kahenda | Aug 01, 2024
From left, SHA Chairman Timothy Olweny, Medical Services PS Harry Kimtai and NHIF CEO Elijah Wachira before the National Assembly's Health Committee on July 31, 2024. [Elvis Ogina, Standard]

A committee of Parliament has poked holes into the process of transition to new health scheme.

Questions have been raised on the procurement of multibillion-shilling digital technology for the ongoing registration of beneficiaries and lack of transparency.

By Monday, 484,263 people had been registered as members of the Social Health Authority (SHA) that will replace the National Health Insurance Fund (NHIF).

Members of the National Assembly Committee on Health demanded answers on the cost of the ICT registration tool and when advertisement was done.

"The system you are talking about is shrouded in secrecy. How are you registering members? What is the cost of system? Where are adverts for this?" said Antony Kibagendi (Kitutu Chache South).

Health Principal Secretary Harry Kimtai said procurement was at an advanced stage.

But the MPs sought a clear explanation, wondering why registration had already commenced before procurement.

"PS you are ambiguous about this matter. When was advertisement done?" said Kibagendi.

ICT specialist at the ministry Martin Ayo said: "Registration to the portal was figured in-house to allow for registration. Once registration is done, we shall integrate in current system."

Kimtai, who was accompanied by SHA chairperson, Dr Timothy Olweny, and NHIF CEO, Elijah Wachira, promised to table the details.

Despite repealing the fund, the SHA also lacks organisational structure. Currently, all operations of health scheme across the country are under SHA, but all structures are run by the NHIF.

"Who is employed by SHA? Do we have people employed or in acting capacity? Of the employed, what is stopping SHA from fully operating?" said James Nyikal (Seme).

Olweny admitted that SHA does not have employees, but operates under a transition committee.

"All operations are under SHA. At the moment, everything is done by SHA for seamless transition," he said.

Olweny explained that the Attorney General gave an advisory that shifted obligation of NHIF staff to the board, including salaries.

After full transition in November, Olweny said those who will not move to SHA will be deployed elsewhere by the Public Service Commission (PSC).

"NHIF doesn't have operational board, everything at regional offices is being undertaken by SHA."

Kimtai told the committee that SHA is awaiting approval of human resource instruments by PSC and State Corporation Advisory Committee to identify positions needed, which would be competitively filled.

"In the provisions, the staff of the fund are eligible to apply for the positions advertised by the authority and may be considered for appointment where they are suitably qualified for the positions," he added.

NHIF, according to the PS, will cease to exist on November 22.

But members of the Robert Pukose-led team questioned the capacity to transition within the set timelines, urging the ministry, NHIF and SHA management to request for extension of time.

The PS said some of the rollout challenges include court cases, among them a ruling that nullified the Social Health Insurance Act, Primary Healthcare Act and the Digital Health Act due to insufficient public participation.

Share this story
Universities raise the bar in KUSF games
The just concluded Kenya Universities Sports Federation (KUSF) Nairobi North Conference League has once again revealed the growing competitiveness of university sports in Kenya.
Ronaldo, 41, leads Portugal into his sixth World Cup
Veteran Portugal striker Cristiano Ronaldo will lead his country into the 2026 World Cup this summer after coach Roberto Martinez named the 41-year-old in his squad on Tuesday.
Kenya's Afcon dream is under threat as FKF officials fight
FKF president Hussein Mohamed insists the National Executive Committee meeting of April 24, which voted to suspend him, was irregular, unconstitutional, and in his own words, a coup.
Kenyans now shift focus to Commonwealth Games after shining at Africa meet in Accra
After an overall second place in the continent at the 24th African Senior Athletics Championships, Kenyan stars have firmly set their sights on the Commonwealth Games in July.
New motorsports body up and running with autocross action at Stoni Athi
There was jubilation as fans welcomed the recognition of Motorsports Kenya Federation by the government as the official and legitimate motorsport governing body in the country.
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS