Looming health crisis as KMPDU maintains doctors' strike still on

Health & Science
By Maryann Muganda | Mar 12, 2024
KMPDU NEC member James Githinji (left), Secretary-General Davji Atellah, and his deputy Dennis Miskellah. [Boniface Okendo, Standard]

A crisis is looming in the health sector as The Kenya Medical Practitioners Dentists Union maintains that the national doctors' strike announced to kick off on Wednesday is still on.

The doctors are demanding a mandatory medical internship posting for over 4,000 medical graduates.

The Ministry of Health stated that the deployment of the current batch of medics will require Sh4.9 billion with each intern earning 206,000 shillings per month, which it says it cannot afford.

"The strike begins on Wednesday night, and the strike notice expires on Wednesday midnight at 11:59pm, when we wake up on Thursday there will be no doctors in the hospital," said Dr Dennis Miskellah.

In an interview on Spice FM's The Situation Room, Dr Miskellah said the union has no option but to resort to the strike to pile pressure on the government for its alleged failure to address doctors' grievances.

"Strike is not about broken negotiation, strike is about the beginning of negotiation if somebody can call you to negotiate and does throw away that goodwill," he said.

Miskellah said the union has exhausted all other available options after recent negotiation meetings with the Ministry of Health failed to yield results.

"We have no choice but to resort to industrial action since the government did not resolve our issues," he stated.

The Secretary-General also criticised the Ministry's handling of the dispute, claiming a lack of leadership and clarity on who has the final decision-making authority.

"It is very frustrating to engage with people who are all over the place," he added.

He cited one meeting last week where the Cabinet Secretary publicly addressed the media without briefings from the union's representatives on what had been discussed internally.

Miskellah also voiced frustrations, alleging that the Health Principal Secretary and Cabinet Secretary have called separate meetings on the same issues, calling it "confusing and incompetent."

The strike centers on the union's grievances over Kenya's "broken healthcare system" which they say has led to deaths of patients and medical staff that can be prevented.

"We are tired of seeing our doctors die from a broken healthcare system," Miskellah stated.

Share this story
Ronaldo, 41, leads Portugal into his sixth World Cup
Veteran Portugal striker Cristiano Ronaldo will lead his country into the 2026 World Cup this summer after coach Roberto Martinez named the 41-year-old in his squad on Tuesday.
Kenya's Afcon dream is under threat as FKF officials fight
FKF president Hussein Mohamed insists the National Executive Committee meeting of April 24, which voted to suspend him, was irregular, unconstitutional, and in his own words, a coup.
Kenyans now shift focus to Commonwealth Games after shining at Africa meet in Accra
After an overall second place in the continent at the 24th African Senior Athletics Championships, Kenyan stars have firmly set their sights on the Commonwealth Games in July.
New motorsports body up and running with autocross action at Stoni Athi
There was jubilation as fans welcomed the recognition of Motorsports Kenya Federation by the government as the official and legitimate motorsport governing body in the country.
Fight for survival now down to one team as Bidco, Sofapaka relegated
The battle to survive relegation in the SportPesa Premier League is set for a tense finish with five clubs still fighting to avoid joining Bidco United and Sofapaka in the National Super League.
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS