No cause for alarm after suspected Ebola case turns negative, Ministry says

Health & Science
By Betty Njeru | Oct 01, 2022

Acting Director General for Health Dr Patrick Amoth. [Boniface Okendo, Standard]

The Ministry of Health says there is no cause for alarm after a suspected case of Ebola in Kakamega County turned negative.

The 32-year-old male patient, who had travelled to Uganda, was admitted to a Mumias hospital with Ebola symptoms on Thursday.

Acting Health Director General Dr Patrick Amoth, in a statement on Saturday however said that samples of the suspected case were taken to the Kenya Medical Research Institute (KEMRI) laboratory for testing and turned out negative.

"We would like to inform the public that the laboratory tests for samples taken from the patient have since turned out to be Negative and therefore there is no cause for alarm," Amoth said.

Members of the public have however been urged to exercise vigilance as infections of the Ebola Virus Disease (EVD) continue to rise in Uganda.

The Health Ministry says it has heightened surveillance and screening at all points of entry into the country to minimize the spread of the disease.

"We appeal to members of the public to minimize their movements in and out of the country through entry points along our Western border unless it is extremely necessary. Those crossing at any of our border points should exercise maximum care as advised and guided by our health personnel at the entry points," said Amoth.

On September 20, health authorities in Uganda declared an outbreak of Ebola disease caused by the Sudan virus (SUDV), after a case was confirmed in a village of Madudu Sub-County in Mubende District, central Uganda.

Uganda has so far reported seven deaths and 35 total confirmed cases.

Share this story
Arteta urges Arsenal to seize destiny in crucial Spurs showdown
Mikel Arteta has urged Arsenal F.C. to “write their own destiny” in the north London derby against Tottenham Hotspur F.C. after slipping in the Premier League title race.
Title-hungry Leopards seek to bounce back to winning ways
AFC Leopards will be aiming to return to winning form this weekend as the SportPesa Premier League resumes with a decisive round of fixtures.
Magical Kenya Open: Jastas Madoya reveals what fuels his passion for golf
The spiritual player advises young people to cultivate discipline if they want to reach the lofty heights of playing in the MKO in future.
NOC-K signs strategic MoU with Japanese Olympic Committee
The deal aims at strengthening high-performance systems, athlete development, sports science collaboration, and leadership education between Kenya and Japan.
Youthful Kinoti Kiara crowned African fencing champion
Kiara beat Egypt’s Hamza H. Abuhalwa, Mohamed El Bounjaimi of Morocco and Togo’s Ilan Tchaa Arou to the continental title.
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS