No cause for alarm after suspected Ebola case turns negative, Ministry says

Health & Science
By Betty Njeru | Oct 01, 2022

Acting Director General for Health Dr Patrick Amoth. [Boniface Okendo, Standard]

The Ministry of Health says there is no cause for alarm after a suspected case of Ebola in Kakamega County turned negative.

The 32-year-old male patient, who had travelled to Uganda, was admitted to a Mumias hospital with Ebola symptoms on Thursday.

Acting Health Director General Dr Patrick Amoth, in a statement on Saturday however said that samples of the suspected case were taken to the Kenya Medical Research Institute (KEMRI) laboratory for testing and turned out negative.

"We would like to inform the public that the laboratory tests for samples taken from the patient have since turned out to be Negative and therefore there is no cause for alarm," Amoth said.

Members of the public have however been urged to exercise vigilance as infections of the Ebola Virus Disease (EVD) continue to rise in Uganda.

The Health Ministry says it has heightened surveillance and screening at all points of entry into the country to minimize the spread of the disease.

"We appeal to members of the public to minimize their movements in and out of the country through entry points along our Western border unless it is extremely necessary. Those crossing at any of our border points should exercise maximum care as advised and guided by our health personnel at the entry points," said Amoth.

On September 20, health authorities in Uganda declared an outbreak of Ebola disease caused by the Sudan virus (SUDV), after a case was confirmed in a village of Madudu Sub-County in Mubende District, central Uganda.

Uganda has so far reported seven deaths and 35 total confirmed cases.

Share this story
Kirimi powers to glory at VetLab Club event
Ericv Karimi is the overall winner of the eighth and final leg of the Kengen golf tournament series. 
Strathmore Swords bounce back to slice Eldonets in league battle
Strathmore University Swords bounced back from Saturday’s defeat to edge out Eldonets 67-64 in a Kenya Basketball Federation (KBF) Women’s Premier League match on Sunday.
K'Ogalo silence Muranga Seal to move one win away from title
Record league champions Gor Mahia moved to within one win of another league title after beating Murang’a Seal 3-1 in a crucial SportPesa Premier League match on Sunday.
African stars in Europe: Antoine Semenyo wins it for City
Antoine Semenyo produced one of the great FA Cup final goals with an audacious back-flick that sealed a 1-0 win for Manchester City over Chelsea in the FA Cup final at the weekend.
Mixed results for top boxers as Police, KDF lead after first leg
Defending champions Kenya Police and Kenya Defence Forces shared the lead after the opening leg of the National Boxing League in Nakuru, as several top boxers suffered surprise defeats.
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS