Former Arsenal coach Wenger rejects chance to manage Barcelona

Gossip & Rumours
By Mirror | Aug 13, 2020
Former Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger. [Internet]

Arsene Wenger reportedly turned down the offer to replace Quique Setien as Barcelona boss.

The Frenchman left Arsenal in 2018 after 22 years in the Highbury and Emirates Stadium hot seats and has not taken a management role since.

But Barcelona's coaching crisis led to Wenger recently being approached about the possibility of taking over at Camp Nou in place of Setien.

French outlet Le 10 Sport claims the Catalan giants are one of a number of clubs to approach Wenger recently and be turned down by the 70-year-old.

The report adds initial discussions progressed well and Wenger was interested in the project before choosing to to reject Barcelona's offer.

Arsene Wenger reportedly turned down the offer to replace Quique Setien as Barcelona boss [COURTESY]

Barca chiefs are believed to want to replace Setien after the Spaniard squandered a lead at La Liga's summit to miss out on the title to arch-rivals Real Madrid.

Former midfielder and Spain legend Xavi has been earmarked for the role, but is unavailable until 2021 due to his role as manager of Qatar Stars League side Al Sadd, according to the Evening Standard .

After leaving Arsenal, Wenger ruled out managing another English team and said it would be "difficult" to take over at any other side having "dedicated my whole life to one club".

And last year Wenger admitted he did not know whether he will take on another role, saying: "My future is unknown. Even for me.

"I enjoy daily life now and I have been travelling a lot recently all over the world."

Barcelona coach Quique Setien [REUTERS/Albert Gea]

Wenger now works as FIFA's Chief of Global Football Development and spoke of how he wants to help "get the best out of people", be that on the pitch or off it.

"I turned down some clubs. But basically my job is to help people get the best out of them and I will continue to do that - in what way I do not know," Wenger said.

"To do that first I have to get the best out of myself and I will try to continue to do that as well. Will I do it on the field or will I do it by sharing my knowledge with people who are in the job?"

 

Share this story
Ronaldo, 41, leads Portugal into his sixth World Cup
Veteran Portugal striker Cristiano Ronaldo will lead his country into the 2026 World Cup this summer after coach Roberto Martinez named the 41-year-old in his squad on Tuesday.
Kenya's Afcon dream is under threat as FKF officials fight
FKF president Hussein Mohamed insists the National Executive Committee meeting of April 24, which voted to suspend him, was irregular, unconstitutional, and in his own words, a coup.
Kenyans now shift focus to Commonwealth Games after shining at Africa meet in Accra
After an overall second place in the continent at the 24th African Senior Athletics Championships, Kenyan stars have firmly set their sights on the Commonwealth Games in July.
New motorsports body up and running with autocross action at Stoni Athi
There was jubilation as fans welcomed the recognition of Motorsports Kenya Federation by the government as the official and legitimate motorsport governing body in the country.
Fight for survival now down to one team as Bidco, Sofapaka relegated
The battle to survive relegation in the SportPesa Premier League is set for a tense finish with five clubs still fighting to avoid joining Bidco United and Sofapaka in the National Super League.
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS