Blow to golfers as Kenya Open postponed

Golf
By Ochieng Oyugi | Mar 07, 2020
A worker cut grass on the Karen Country golf Club on March 03, 2020 ahead of Magical Kenya Open Golf tournament scheduled for March 12–15, 2020. Photo[Stafford Ondego, Standard]

There was mixed reactions in the golfing fraternity yesterday following the news that next week’s Magical Kenya Open Golf Championship has been postponed over the coronavirus (COVID-19) fears.

“The Kenya Open Golf Limited (KOGL) has received the Government of Kenya’s decision to postpone all conferences and meetings of an international nature in Kenya for the next 30 days,” read a statement from KOGL to newsrooms.

“This includes the 2020 Magical Kenya Open, due to the ongoing global threat from the coronavirus,” the statement added.

The shocking revelation was met differently by the golfing fraternity.

Most affected were the local professionals who have spent money and time preparing for the competition.

“I’m dejected. I have just arrived in the city to familiarise myself with the Karen Golf course and then boom! the sad news,” Mumias golfer Dismas Indiza said.

“My morale is completely down, I urge the government to let us carry-on with the Safari Tour Series to help us keep our fitness as we wait for the new dates to be announced,” suggested Indiza.

Great Rift Valley Lodge and Golf Resort player, Jastas Madoya was equally angry saying the shocking news could have come a bit early, say, in February.

“I agree, the virus is no joke but postponing the tournament when it was just around the corner will be costly. This is going to affect players financially as some had already booked hotels and flights,” he said.

Kopan Timbe, the new inclusion in the Kenyan squad for the Open predicted the impact of the decision is going to be felt far and wide.

“Kenya Open is one championship that you wait for for a whole year, then it is postponed suddenly. How sad!” the Thika Greens player underlined. “We just have to deal with the situation, the good thing is that the contest is not cancelled,” he said.

A bunker at Karen Country Golf Club on March 03, 2020 ahead of Magical Kenya Open Golf tournament scheduled for March 12–15, 2020. Photo[Stafford Ondego, Standard]

Another Thika-based golfer, Simon Ngige who was one of the two locals who made the cut in the event last season, welcomed the postponement terming it a timely decision by the State.

“Health is wealth. Many are going to be affected but the most important thing is that they are not going to lose their lives,” he added.

David Wakhu, 34, of Golf Park, admitted the decision was a big blow to the local professionals but they just have to comply.

“Coronavirus is no joke, we can’t gamble with our lives,” Wakhu said.

KOGL chairman Peter Kanyago said his organisation will do all they can to safeguard Kenya against the virus.

 

Share this story
Thunder plot Equity Bank raid as Premier League tips off
The bankers will take on ANU Wolfpacks in their second encounter on Sunday.
Future Boxing Championships offer Kenyan boxers lessons
What it means for Kenyan teams’ participation in the inaugural Future’s Boxing Championships in Thailand.
Why Faith Kipyegon is making waves after winning 10km debut
Kipyegon, who is nicknamed the smiling assassin, is following in the footsteps of her training mates, among them two-time Olympic champion Eliud Kipchoge.
Recall times of Shikanda, Stars' diminutive defender
On May 26, 2007, Kenya, then coached by Jacob Ghost Mulee, played Nigeria in an international friendly match at Kasarani.
Kenya Army, KPA and Equity win as league second leg gets underway
Kenya Army launched their 2025-2026 KVF Men’s National League campaign with a 3-1 win against the NYS, as the second leg served off yesterday at Kasarani Indoor Arena.
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS