FIFA issues deadline to members over plan to sell Sh517 billion stake

Football
By AFP | Jul 29, 2026
 President Donald Trump and FIFA President Gianni Infantino hold the FIFA World Cup Winner's Trophy before handing over to Spain at the award ceremony following the FIFA World Cup 2026 Final at New York New Jersey Stadium on July 19, 2026 in East Rutherford, New Jersey. [Dan Mullan/AFP]

FIFA has told member associations they will each receive $40 million if they back a plan to sell stakes in major competitions -- but they must sign up by September 19.

The sport's global governing body on Tuesday announced proposals to set up a commercial subsidiary to run events, including the World Cup, sparking a furious backlash.

European football's governing body UEFA said the World Cup was not an "asset to trade" while the Asian Football Confederation said it had not been consulted.

EU sports chief Glenn Micallef told FIFA on Wednesday: "Hands off our game."

According to The Times on Wednesday, FIFA president Gianni Infantino told members that a funding package totalling $10 billion would become available if they signed up.

Infantino said in a letter seen by the British newspaper that the decision was up to individual associations.

"Should you wish to proceed, this $10 billion package will become available as of January 1, 2027, ushering in the next phase of our journey together," he wrote.

"Should you wish to retain the status quo and reject this proposal we still have our planned expansion of the Forward programme (development funds) of $2.7 billion as previously presented.

"In total for the upcoming cycle starting as of January 1, 2027, each member association will have the possibility of access up to $40 million per member association under this proposal."

The Times said sources opposed to the plan had labelled it "pure bribery".

Share this story
Players caught in match-fixing risk jail, Sh1 million fine
Persons engaged in match-fixing or manipulation of sporting competitions in the country now face tough penalties ranging from a lifetime ban from sporting competitions or jail time.
Kenyans intensify hunt for East Africa volleyball and basketball glory
Kenya’s teams to this year’s East Africa school games yesterday stayed on course as the preliminary round ended at various grounds here in Morogoro, Tanzania.
Kenya bags double gold in hockey as St Anthony's end Kakungulu's reign
Kenya yesterday secured hockey gold and silver medals after triumphing in their respective boys’ and girls’ semi-final matches of the 2026 Federation
KDF and Police renew rivalry as boxing league action moves to Vihiga
The fight for boxing glory resumes on Thursday with the third leg of the National Boxing League in Vihiga County.
Amonde: Why I am not going to fight for my position at Shujaa
KCB Rugby coach Andrew Amonde is ready to put his recent Shujaa exit behind him and give the bankers his full attention as they continue their push for National Sevens Circuit success.
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS