No Saibari as Morocco back coach Ouahbi to mastermind France upset

Football
By Robert Abong'o | Jul 09, 2026
Morocco's head coach Mohamed Ouahbi and Ismael Saibari celebrate after winning in the shootout during the 2026 World Cup round of 32 vs Netherlands at the Monterrey Stadium in Guadalupe on June 29, 2026. [CARL DE SOUZA / AFP]

Morocco will have to attempt one of the biggest upsets of the 2026 FIFA World Cup without one of their brightest stars after coach Mohamed Ouahbi confirmed that influential midfielder Ismael Saibari will miss Thursday's quarter-final against France through injury.

The Bayern Munich midfielder has been one of the standout performers of the tournament, scoring in each of the Atlas Lions’ three group matches before converting the decisive penalty in their shootout victory over the Dutch in the Round of 32.

However, the new Bayern Munich attacker suffered a hamstring injury during their convincing 3-0 win over Canada in the round of 16, and has failed to recover in time for the last-eight showdown at Gillette Stadium in Foxborough, Massachusetts.

"Everyone is 100 per cent fit except Saibari. This game comes too soon for him, but I hope he is not out for the rest of the competition," Ouahbi told reporters on Wednesday.

His absence is a huge setback for the Ouahbi, particularly after the attacking midfielder completed a reported €50 million move from PSV Eindhoven to Bavaria earlier this month.

Fortunately for Morocco, Soufiane Rahimi showed he is more than capable of filling the void after coming on against Canada and scoring.

Morocco head into the contest seeking revenge for their painful 2-0 defeat to France in the 2022 World Cup semi-finals, where Africa's historic run ended, making them the first African and Arab nation to go that far.

This time, however, there is a growing belief they can go one step further.

Since replacing Walid Regragui in March, Ouahbi has transformed Morocco into one of the tournament's most entertaining sides.

The Belgium-born tactician remains unbeaten at the World Cup and has quickly silenced critics who questioned whether a coach with little senior-level experience could handle a dressing room packed with established international stars.

The 49-year-old spent 17 years coaching Anderlecht's youth teams before guiding Morocco to the FIFA Under-20 World Cup title last year, beating France on penalties in the semi-finals before overcoming Argentina in the final.

His ability to develop young players has also proved invaluable at the senior level.

Ouahbi dismissed suggestions that Morocco had already exceeded expectations simply by reaching the quarter-finals.

"We absolutely want to win the game tomorrow, so we will not listen to people who say it doesn't matter if we go out now," he said.

Share this story
Networks Open set for second season with Sh600,000 prize pool
More than Sh600,000 will be up for grabs when Networks Padel Village hosts the second edition of its Networks Open padel tournament from August 25 to 30.
Camm's steady rise in local and international championships
Teenage polo player Archie Camm continued his impressive rise by starring for Samurai at the Mug of Mugs Cup, earning MVP honours despite narrowly missing out on the title.
Kabeberi 7s gives KCB the perfect bounce-back
KCB bounced back from their Dala Sevens disappointment by successfully defending the Kabeberi Sevens title and reclaiming the National Sevens Circuit lead.
St Joseph's, Nyakach win to revive hopes of making knockouts
St Joseph’s Girls Kitale and Nyakach Girls revived their semi-final hopes at the 2026 East Africa Games with convincing football victories.
World champions Kiprono and Masai bag cross country gold
World Under-20 champion Emmanuel Kiprono and Venenza Masai led Kenya to cross-country gold sweeps at the 2026 FEASSA Games in Morogoro, Tanzania.
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS