Rice 'doesn't care' about Arsenal critics after reaching Champions League semis

Football
By AFP | Apr 16, 2026
Arsenal midfielder Declan Rice reacts after the UEFA Champions League quarter-final vs Sporting Lisbon at the Emirates Stadium on April 15, 2026. [Adrian Dennis / AFP]

Declan Rice said reaching another Champions League semi-final was "an amazing achievement" for Arsenal despite failing to silence their critics in a 0-0 draw at home to Sporting Lisbon on Wednesday.

The Gunners progressed 1-0 on aggregate thanks to Kai Havertz's late winner in the Portuguese capital last week.

Arsenal, who have never won the Champions League, were knocked out in the last four by eventual winners Paris Saint-Germain last season.

They will face Atletico Madrid in the semi-finals for the chance to take on PSG or Bayern Munich in Budapest next month.

"To go back-to-back semi-finals is an is an amazing achievement for this group," Rice told TNT Sports. "We want to now go one step further than last year and get to the final."

Yet a stalemate short on excitement at the Emirates did little to set up Mikel Arteta's men for a potential Premier League title decider away to Manchester City on Sunday.

Arsenal have won just one of their last five games in all competitions, a run which includes losing the League Cup final to City and being dumped out of the FA Cup by second-tier Southampton.

"Positivity all the way," added Rice. "Who cares what people think. All that matters is what this group thinks, what the manager thinks, and we're in another semi-final. I'm delighted."

City trail Arsenal by six points at the top of the table but have a game in hand on the leaders and home advantage when they face off this weekend.

"Our record this year has been amazing in all competitions," said Rice.

"How much (do) you want it? I know I'll be ready, I know the boys will be ready, so let's go!"

Share this story
Ronaldo, 41, leads Portugal into his sixth World Cup
Veteran Portugal striker Cristiano Ronaldo will lead his country into the 2026 World Cup this summer after coach Roberto Martinez named the 41-year-old in his squad on Tuesday.
Kenya's Afcon dream is under threat as FKF officials fight
FKF president Hussein Mohamed insists the National Executive Committee meeting of April 24, which voted to suspend him, was irregular, unconstitutional, and in his own words, a coup.
Kenyans now shift focus to Commonwealth Games after shining at Africa meet in Accra
After an overall second place in the continent at the 24th African Senior Athletics Championships, Kenyan stars have firmly set their sights on the Commonwealth Games in July.
New motorsports body up and running with autocross action at Stoni Athi
There was jubilation as fans welcomed the recognition of Motorsports Kenya Federation by the government as the official and legitimate motorsport governing body in the country.
Fight for survival now down to one team as Bidco, Sofapaka relegated
The battle to survive relegation in the SportPesa Premier League is set for a tense finish with five clubs still fighting to avoid joining Bidco United and Sofapaka in the National Super League.
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS