Real Madrid victory for 'everyone against racism', says Tchouameni

Football
By AFP | Feb 26, 2026
Real Madrid midfielder Aurelien Tchouameni (R) falls after contact with SL Benfica midfielder Leandro Barreiro during the UEFA Champions League knockout round play-off second leg at Santiago Bernabeu Stadium in Madrid on February 25, 2026. [Pierre-Philippe MARCOU / AFP]

Real Madrid midfielder Aurelien Tchouameni said his team's 2-1 win against Benfica on Wednesday to reach the Champions League last 16 was a victory for "everyone who is against racism".

The Frenchman was referring to the first leg of the play-off tie, which Madrid won 1-0 last week, which was marred by alleged racial abuse aimed at Vinicius Junior by Benfica's Gianluca Prestianni.

"We didn't play our best match of the season, that's for sure. But I think there are things more important than this match, and more important than football," Tchouameni told reporters.

Vinicius scored Madrid's second goal at the Santiago Bernabeu and Tchouameni said the result was a "victory for everyone who is against racism".

Prestianni was provisionally suspended by UEFA for the game while the incident is under investigation and Benfica had an appeal against his ban rejected earlier Wednesday.

"The dance continues," wrote Vinicius on social media afterwards, along with a photo of a big banner hung at the Bernabeu reading "no to racism".

Real Madrid said they had thrown out one of their own supporters before the game for performing a Nazi salute.

"This (club) member was identified by the club's security staff moments after appearing on the (television) broadcast and was immediately expelled from the Santiago Bernabeu stadium," said Madrid in a statement.

"Real Madrid condemns this type of gesture and expression that incites violence and hatred in sports and society."

Real Madrid coach Alvaro Arbeloa said he was happy when Vinicius found the net.

"(I reacted) with joy obviously, for the great goal he scored, and because it was him, he deserves it," said Arbeloa.

"Without (Kylian) Mbappe I think it's even more important and I am very happy for him."

Before the game Arbeloa said French superstar Mbappe would spent some time out as he recovers from a knee problem.

"After yesterday's session, we talked with the doctors, I spoke with him, and we felt the best thing was for him to stop, to recover 100 percent, and to come back in top shape, confident and without any discomfort for everything that's coming, which is obviously very important," Arbeloa told reporters after the match.

Asked if it was discomfort or an injury, he added: "I think we can call it an injury, but it seems, and I hope, that it's not a very serious injury, nothing major, and that he'll be able to come back in a few days or weeks."

Share this story
Ronaldo, 41, leads Portugal into his sixth World Cup
Veteran Portugal striker Cristiano Ronaldo will lead his country into the 2026 World Cup this summer after coach Roberto Martinez named the 41-year-old in his squad on Tuesday.
Kenya's Afcon dream is under threat as FKF officials fight
FKF president Hussein Mohamed insists the National Executive Committee meeting of April 24, which voted to suspend him, was irregular, unconstitutional, and in his own words, a coup.
Kenyans now shift focus to Commonwealth Games after shining at Africa meet in Accra
After an overall second place in the continent at the 24th African Senior Athletics Championships, Kenyan stars have firmly set their sights on the Commonwealth Games in July.
New motorsports body up and running with autocross action at Stoni Athi
There was jubilation as fans welcomed the recognition of Motorsports Kenya Federation by the government as the official and legitimate motorsport governing body in the country.
Fight for survival now down to one team as Bidco, Sofapaka relegated
The battle to survive relegation in the SportPesa Premier League is set for a tense finish with five clubs still fighting to avoid joining Bidco United and Sofapaka in the National Super League.
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS