De Zerbi leaves Marseille 'by mutual agreement'

Football
By AFP | Feb 11, 2026
Roberto De Zerbi [Photo: KURT DESPLENTER / BELGA]

Coach Roberto De Zerbi has left Marseille "by mutual agreement", the French club said early Wednesday, days after they were thrashed 5-0 by bitter rivals Paris Saint-Germain.

The 46-year-old Italian, who had been in charge since the summer of 2024, has been linked with a return to the Premier League.

Marseille crashed out of the Champions League last month and were well beaten at PSG on Sunday to leave them fourth in Ligue 1.

After days of speculation about his future, a club statement said: "Following discussions between all stakeholders in the club's management -- the owner, president, director of football, and coach -- it was decided to make a change at the helm of the first team.

"This was a difficult collective decision, taken after careful consideration in the best interests of the club, in order to respond to the sporting challenges of the end of the season."

De Zerbi took Marseille to second, behind PSG, in the league last season.

He arrived in southern France following a successful two-year stint at Premier League Brighton, where he took them to sixth in his first season.

Before that he coached the Ukrainian side Shakhtar Donetsk.

Share this story
Over 2,500 players to battle it out in Duracoat Golf Masters Series
The Duracoat Golf Masters series 2026 will be played at 12 venues before the grand finale that will be staged at Mount Kipipiri at the end of the year. 
Sh11 B more to beat AFCON 2027 deadline
Kenya requires an additional Sh11.02 billion from the Exchequer to  complete key stadiums earmarked for the 2027 Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON),
Universities raise the bar in KUSF games
The just concluded Kenya Universities Sports Federation (KUSF) Nairobi North Conference League has once again revealed the growing competitiveness of university sports in Kenya.
Ronaldo, 41, leads Portugal into his sixth World Cup
Veteran Portugal striker Cristiano Ronaldo will lead his country into the 2026 World Cup this summer after coach Roberto Martinez named the 41-year-old in his squad on Tuesday.
Kenya's Afcon dream is under threat as FKF officials fight
FKF president Hussein Mohamed insists the National Executive Committee meeting of April 24, which voted to suspend him, was irregular, unconstitutional, and in his own words, a coup.
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS