Liverpool's Slot swerves further Salah talk after late Inter win

Football
By AFP | Dec 10, 2025
Inter Milan's Argentinian forward Lautaro Martinez greets Liverpool midfielder Alexis Mac Allister at the end of the UEFA Champions League match at San Siro stadium in Milan, on December 9, 2025. [Stefano RELLANDINI / AFP]

Arne Slot dedicated last night's 1-0 Champions League win at Inter Milan to the players he took to Italy, refusing to further fuel a public row with star forward Mohamed Salah.

The build-up to the match had been dominated by Salah's extraordinary criticism of Slot, who on Monday admitted that he had "no clue" as to whether the rebel attacker had played his last game for the Reds after deciding not to take him to Milan.

Salah sparked huge drama at Liverpool when he said he felt like he had been "thrown under the bus" by the club and no longer had a relationship with Slot after being left on the bench for Saturday's 3-3 draw at Leeds.

"In the rich history Liverpool have they've had many of these evenings," Slot told reporters.

"But in the season we are in, I think if you were having an away win in this stadium against such a strong team then it should be about the ones that are here, they deserve all the credits."

Liverpool are in the top eight of the Champions League after Dominik Szoboszlai's controversial late penalty gave them all three points at the San Siro.

Slot admitted that Liverpool were lucky to be awarded the penalty that won the game, but pointed to Ibrahima Konate's earlier goal being ruled out for handball -- he believed wrongly.

"If that is a penalty we could have had 10 this season I think," admitted Slot.

"That was a penalty that I don't think in the Premier League would have been given.

"But again I think the first goal was a more clearer goal than it was wrong that the penalty was given."

In the Champions League Liverpool next travel to Marseille before hosting Qarabag in their final league phase fixture.

Share this story
It's fresh faces and familiar rivals as Stars prepare for 2027 Afcon
Coach McCarthy has named five new faces in Harambee Stars squad.Kenya to face South Africa, Guinea and Eritrea in 2027 Afcon qualifiers.,
SportPesa Premier League: APS Bomet edge Bandari to ease relegation fears
The win eased off relegation fears APS Bomet have been battling for the better part of their debut season in the Premier League.
Experienced Okello, Chajira named in Kenya Lionesses squad for Rugby Africa Cup
Kenya Lionesses have named an experienced squad featuring Janet Okello and Sheila Chajira for the Rugby Africa Cup as they aim to improve on their previous runner-up finish.
McCarthy set for emotional South Africa reunion after AFCON Draw
Harambee Stars coach Benni McCarthy is preparing for an emotional clash against his home country after Kenya was drawn with South Africa in the 2027 Afcon qualifiers.
Junior Starlets gear up for World Cup qualifier encounter against Uganda
Junior Starlets have set their sights on a crucial away win over Uganda’s Teen Cranes as they aim to secure their return to the global stage.
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS