Ex-France international Ben Yedder to stand trial on rape charges

Football
By AFP | Nov 04, 2025

French forward Wissam Ben Yedder. [Benjamin Cremel / AFP]

Former French international Wissam Ben Yedder will stand trial for alleged rape, attempted rape, and sexual assault, the prosecutor's office in Nice told AFP on Monday.

The 35-year-old's brother Sabri will also stand trial for rape and sexual assault. Both were indicted in 2023 following accusations, which they deny, made by two young women they met at a party.

The investigating judge followed the prosecution's recommendation that the brothers be tried for rape and sexual assault, adding the charge of attempted rape for Wissam Ben Yedder.

His lawyer, Sophia Kerbaa, announced later on Monday that she will appeal against the decision.

Ben Yedder "has vehemently contested the charges against him since the beginning of these proceedings," she said.

For several months the 19-times capped former international, who now plays in Turkey, has been making more headlines in the courts than on the field.

In early September, he was fined EUR90,000 ($105,000) by the Nice criminal court for psychological abuse of his wife, from whom he is currently separated and in the process of divorcing.

He was also given a six-month suspended sentence by a Spanish court in 2023 for tax fraud during his 2016-19 spell at Sevilla.

In November 2024, he received a suspended two-year jail sentence for sexually assaulting a woman two months earlier.

The former Monaco player had been without a club since his contract with the principality side expired in June 2024, but in April he went to Iran to try and revive his career with Sepahan SC.

That move was short-lived and in early September, Ben Yedder signed with Turkish second division side Sakaryaspor.

Share this story
Sh11 B more to beat AFCON 2027 deadline
Kenya requires an additional Sh11.02 billion from the Exchequer to  complete key stadiums earmarked for the 2027 Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON),
Universities raise the bar in KUSF games
The just concluded Kenya Universities Sports Federation (KUSF) Nairobi North Conference League has once again revealed the growing competitiveness of university sports in Kenya.
Ronaldo, 41, leads Portugal into his sixth World Cup
Veteran Portugal striker Cristiano Ronaldo will lead his country into the 2026 World Cup this summer after coach Roberto Martinez named the 41-year-old in his squad on Tuesday.
Kenya's Afcon dream is under threat as FKF officials fight
FKF president Hussein Mohamed insists the National Executive Committee meeting of April 24, which voted to suspend him, was irregular, unconstitutional, and in his own words, a coup.
McCarthy faces emotional South Africa reunion
Kenya's Harambee Stars placed in Group D for PAMOJA 2027 AFCON qualifiers alongside South Africa (Bafana Bafana), Guinea and Eritrea
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS