Blow to Harambee Stars as Bajaber ruled out of Chan

Football
By Rodgers Eshitemi | Jul 30, 2025
Harambee Stars forward Mohammed Bajaber during a training session at Kasarani Annex on July 16, 2025. [Stafford Ondego, Standard]

Shabana talisman Brian Michira is among the three players that have earned a late call-up in the final 25-man Harambee Stars squad for the 2024 African Nations Championship (Chan) that will kick off on Saturday.

Michira, Chrispin Erambo (Tusker) and Edward Omondi (Sofapaka) have replaced the trio of Mohammed Bajaber, Swaleh Pamba, and Brian Musa, who will now miss the historic tournament to be co-hosted by Kenya, Uganda and Tanzania due to various reasons.

Kenya, who are making their debut in the competition, will clash with two-time champions DR Congo in the Group A opener at Kasarani Stadium on Sunday. Other teams in the group are two-time winners Morocco, Angola, and Zambia.

Head coach Benni McCarthy revealed that Pamba has withdrawn from the team due to heart-related issues after advice from the doctors, while Bajaber has been ruled out with a thigh injury. Bajaber has since then joined Tanzanian giants Simba SC.

"Swaleh did medical tests, and we found out that he had problems with the heart. We couldn't risk the player's future, and after consultation with the medics, we decided to replace him," said McCarthy during yesterday's training at Police Sacco Stadium.

"It's unfortunate we will have to do without Bajaber. I had a lot of faith in him, and he was very loyal and respectful to me, but his nagging injury wouldn't have allowed him to play in the group stage. And when Simba showed interest in him, we allowed him to go."

Meanwhile, Harambee Stars captain Abud Omar says they don't fear DR Congo's Leopards ahead of their 2024 Chan Group A opening match at Kasarani Stadium on Sunday.

With the availability of the experienced striker Masoud Juma, who became eligible to play in the tournament reserved for local-based players after joining National Super League side Migori Youth last week, Omar is confident of making the impossible possible in front of their ever-demanding home fans.

"I don't think DR Congo is a big threat. It's just a team like any other. A lot has changed in football, and we are ready for anyone," Omar said during yesterday's training session at Police Sacco Stadium.

"We are more than happy to have Masoud in the team. He will not only bring a huge motivation to the team but also experience and leadership."

Share this story
McCarthy set for emotional South Africa reunion after AFCON Draw
Harambee Stars coach Benni McCarthy is preparing for an emotional clash against his home country after Kenya was drawn with South Africa in the 2027 Afcon qualifiers.
Junior Starlets gear up for World Cup qualifier encounter against Uganda
Junior Starlets have set their sights on a crucial away win over Uganda’s Teen Cranes as they aim to secure their return to the global stage.
Under-20 talents to face off in battle for tickets to world event in Eugene
The World Under-20 Championships is set for August 5-9 in Eugene.
Over 2,500 players to battle it out in Duracoat Golf Masters Series
The Duracoat Golf Masters series 2026 will be played at 12 venues before the grand finale that will be staged at Mount Kipipiri at the end of the year. 
Sh11 B more to beat AFCON 2027 deadline
Kenya requires an additional Sh11.02 billion from the Exchequer to  complete key stadiums earmarked for the 2027 Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON),
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS