SCHOOLS: Shanderema, St Anthony's Kitale begin East Africa medal hunt

Football
By Washington Onyango | Aug 20, 2023
Shanderema Secondary School being flagged off by the Kakamega County governor. [Benjamin Sakwa,Standard]

Western Region champions Shanderema Secondary School is confident of kicking off their Federation of East Africa Secondary Schools Sports Association (FEASSSA) games on the front foot as they face off against Amus College School from 11 am Kenyan time.

Shanderema finished third during their debut at the Kenya Secondary School Sports Association (KSSSA) national games played in Kakamega last week.

The Kevin Asuba-coached outfit thrashed Agoro Sare High School 5-1 in the third-place playoffs and the tactician believes they can pick from where they left against the Ugandans.

Asuba who has beaten giants this year including Kakamega County champions Musingu High School and former national champions Kakamega High School said they don't fear anyone as they are focused on playing better than they have played in their last game.

"We are ready for the finals. The boys had a wonderful taste of high-intensity football at the nationals and they are ready to showcase their talents once again in Rwanda.

"It won't be easy of cause and we have to be on top of our game in every match," said Asuba.

At the same time, six-time national champions St Anthony's Boys Kitale will kick of their campaign against College George The Fox Kagarama (CGFK) of Rwanda.

Kitale who saw off Dagoretti High School 2-0 to win the national gong after four years will be hoping highly rated forward Adrine Kibet continues with his fine form.

The KSSSA national football Most Valuable Player scored the two goals in the finals against Dagoretti and in their 1-0 semis win against Shanderema.

Share this story
Ronaldo, 41, leads Portugal into his sixth World Cup
Veteran Portugal striker Cristiano Ronaldo will lead his country into the 2026 World Cup this summer after coach Roberto Martinez named the 41-year-old in his squad on Tuesday.
Kenya's Afcon dream is under threat as FKF officials fight
FKF president Hussein Mohamed insists the National Executive Committee meeting of April 24, which voted to suspend him, was irregular, unconstitutional, and in his own words, a coup.
Kenyans now shift focus to Commonwealth Games after shining at Africa meet in Accra
After an overall second place in the continent at the 24th African Senior Athletics Championships, Kenyan stars have firmly set their sights on the Commonwealth Games in July.
New motorsports body up and running with autocross action at Stoni Athi
There was jubilation as fans welcomed the recognition of Motorsports Kenya Federation by the government as the official and legitimate motorsport governing body in the country.
Fight for survival now down to one team as Bidco, Sofapaka relegated
The battle to survive relegation in the SportPesa Premier League is set for a tense finish with five clubs still fighting to avoid joining Bidco United and Sofapaka in the National Super League.
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS