Mathare Utd, Wazito and Vihiga reinstated in the Premier League

Football
By Washington Onyango | Dec 17, 2022
Mathare United captain Chrispin Oduor (left) and his Bidco United counterpart Peter Nzuki (right) during their FKF Premier League match on at Kasarani Annex on March 13. [Jonah Onyango, Standard]

KCB FC assistant coach Godfrey Oduor is optimistic the club will turn around their mixed start to the FKF Premier League season as they travel to face Bidco United at Thika Stadium today.

The bankers have blown hot and cold since the start of the 2022-2023 campaign last month. Ironically, the bankers have won all their away matches but lost all their home matches.

KCB saw off Bandari and Kenya Police away but lost to Nzoia Sugar and Kakamega Homeboyz at home.

Oduor said cases of indiscipline cost them the match against Nzoia last week where two penalties saw the Bungoma-based outfit come from behind to pick an unexpected three points from Nairobi.

"We know where we got it wrong against Nzoia but we have corrected our mistakes during training this week. Bidco is an equally good side and we expect them to cause a lot of problems for us, especially on their flanks but we are ready to play against them and come back home with the three important points," said Oduor.

Five matches are on the cards today as AFC Leopards who drop two points in their 1-1 draw against Sofapaka during the Jamhuri Day celebrations host Posta Rangers at Nyayo Stadium.

Ulinzi Stars welcome Sofapaka at Ulinzi Sports Complex while Nzoia Sugar clash with Nairobi City Stars in Bungoma.

In Kakamega, second-placed Kakamega Homeboyz host FC Talanta at Bukhungu Stadium.

Tomorrow, record Kenyan champions Gor Mahia will resume their push to reclaim the Premier League title with a match against Kariobangi Sharks.

K'Ogalo have been out of action for the past two weeks after their fixtures were suspended pending a court case where Mathare United, Wazito and Vihiga Bullets were clubs of interest pertaining to the issues of relegation.

But Mathare, Vihiga and Wazito will all feature in next week's round of six after they were reinstated to the league by the Constitutional Court on Thursday.

Football Kenya Federation (FKF) had earlier last month declared the 2021-2022 season null and void as well as nullified relegation and promotion before National Super League clubs went to the Sports Dispute Tribunal (SDT) that suspended the federation's decision.

But the federation moved to the Constitutional Court and got an order staying the SDT decision on Thursday.

Mathare founder and chairman Bob Munro was thrilled by the Constitutional Court's decision saying his charges can't wait for their first match of the season against Nzoia Sugar on December 22.

"After seven-long and difficult months of legal and institutional uncertainty which sadly undermined a

Share this story
Sh11 B more to beat AFCON 2027 deadline
Kenya requires an additional Sh11.02 billion from the Exchequer to  complete key stadiums earmarked for the 2027 Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON),
Universities raise the bar in KUSF games
The just concluded Kenya Universities Sports Federation (KUSF) Nairobi North Conference League has once again revealed the growing competitiveness of university sports in Kenya.
Ronaldo, 41, leads Portugal into his sixth World Cup
Veteran Portugal striker Cristiano Ronaldo will lead his country into the 2026 World Cup this summer after coach Roberto Martinez named the 41-year-old in his squad on Tuesday.
Kenya's Afcon dream is under threat as FKF officials fight
FKF president Hussein Mohamed insists the National Executive Committee meeting of April 24, which voted to suspend him, was irregular, unconstitutional, and in his own words, a coup.
McCarthy faces emotional South Africa reunion
Kenya's Harambee Stars placed in Group D for PAMOJA 2027 AFCON qualifiers alongside South Africa (Bafana Bafana), Guinea and Eritrea
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS