Kane sends emotional message to fans after blazing his penalty kick over the France goal bar

Football
By Associated Press, Xinhua | Dec 11, 2022
England's Harry Kane reacts after the World Cup quarterfinal soccer match between England and France, at the Al Bayt Stadium in Al Khor, Qatar, Sunday, Dec. 11, 2022. (AP Photo/Frank Augstein)

England captain Harry Kane accepted responsibility for his side's defeat in the quarterfinal of the World Cup against France.

Kane, who had already leveled the score with a penalty in to cancel out Aurelien Tchouameni's 17th minute opener for France and in the 83rd minute he had another opportunity to level from the spot after Mason Mount was bundled over by Theo Hernandez.

This time however, Kane sent his effort high into the night sky and France held on for the win.

"I can't fault my preparation or the details before the game. I felt confident taking it, just didn't execute it the way I wanted to. It will be something I have to live with and take on the chin," Kane told the BBC.

"It's tough to take for me personally and the team," he added, praising England's performance which saw them have more possession and more shots on target than the French.

"I couldn't be prouder of the boys. We had better spells, better chances but football comes down to small details - as the captain and the one who missed the penalty, I take responsibility for that," said Kane, who is optimistic for the future of a young squad.

"The team is in a really good place and there will be highs in the future. Standing here now, we are gutted it has come to an end as we had full belief we could go all the way."

"We can be proud of what we've done," he concluded.

#ENGFRA #FIFAWorldCup

Harry Kane penalty pic.twitter.com/z42Yms1yob - Imzee (@imzee786) December 10, 2022

by article by Xinhua

Share this story
Emery urges Villa to use Europa triumph to fuel bold new era
Unai Emery urged Aston Villa to use their historic Europa League final triumph against Freiburg as the foundation for an "ambitious" new era.
DR Congo cancel World Cup training in Kinshasa amid Ebola outbreak
The Democratic Republic of Congo team have cancelled a planned pre-World Cup training camp at home after the country was hit by an Ebola outbreak
For Arsenal, the time is right and the Lord has made it happen
When Patrick Paul Vieira lifted Arsenal’s English Premier League trophy in 2004, petrol in Kenya was retailing at Sh64.99, Diesel was Sh51.60, while kerosene went for Sh38.19.
Julius Yego's exit beckons after his last African show in Ghana
The 37-year-old javelin star is set for his last World Championships and Olympics next year and 2028 respectively.
It's fresh faces and familiar rivals as Stars prepare for 2027 Afcon
Coach McCarthy has named five new faces in Harambee Stars squad.Kenya to face South Africa, Guinea and Eritrea in 2027 Afcon qualifiers.,
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS