Senegal official: Mane will miss his team's "first games" at the World Cup

Football
By Associated Press | Nov 15, 2022
FILE- Senegal's Sadio Mane gestures prior to the start of the African Cup of Nations 2022 final soccer match between Senegal and Egypt at the Ahmadou Ahidjo stadium in Yaounde, Cameroon, on Feb. 6, 2022. (AP Photo/Themba Hadebe, File)


Senegal forward Sadio Mane will miss his team's "first games" at the World Cup because of a leg injury, a Senegal soccer federation board member said Tuesday.

Abdoulaye Sow said Senegal will have to cope without its best player for the start of the tournament and "not whine too much."

"We will have to rely on playing the first games without Sadio and win without Sadio because we have 25 players apart from Sadio," Sow said. "No one would have wanted it, but that's what's happened to us."

Sow didn't specify how many games Mane is expected to miss, and there has been no official word from Senegal or Bayern Munich.

Mane was injured a week ago in a German league game between Bayern and Werder Bremen. He was substituted in the 20th minute of Bayern's 6-1 win. Bayern said the two-time African player of the year has an injury to the head of the fibula bone in his lower right leg.

Most of Senegal's squad arrived in Qatar for the World Cup on Sunday without Mane. The team's first game in Qatar against the Netherlands is on Monday but Mane was still waiting for more tests by the Bayern medical team.

Senegal, the reigning African champion, plays host Qatar four days after it faces the Netherlands. Its final game in Group A is against Ecuador on Nov. 29.
Mane was named in Senegal's 26-man World Cup squad last week by coach Aliou Cisse, who said at the time that Senegal was hopeful Mane might still be ready for the start of the tournament. But Bayern coach Julian Nagelsmann had cast doubt Friday on Mane's participation when he said the player would be sidelined for at least another 10 days even before follow-up tests to determine the precise extent of the injury.

"It's obvious that Senegal would like him to play," Nagelsmann said. "But if he's in pain, he can't play. The medical things are more important than the sporting ones. That's the case with us and also with everyone else."

Senegal won its first major title at the African Cup in February, when Mane scored the winning penalty in a shootout to beat Egypt in the final. Mane also scored the winning penalty in a playoff that sealed a place for Senegal in Qatar.

Senegal - with Mane - is rated by many as the best African side to ever go to a World Cup.

Share this story
Universities raise the bar in KUSF games
The just concluded Kenya Universities Sports Federation (KUSF) Nairobi North Conference League has once again revealed the growing competitiveness of university sports in Kenya.
Ronaldo, 41, leads Portugal into his sixth World Cup
Veteran Portugal striker Cristiano Ronaldo will lead his country into the 2026 World Cup this summer after coach Roberto Martinez named the 41-year-old in his squad on Tuesday.
Kenya's Afcon dream is under threat as FKF officials fight
FKF president Hussein Mohamed insists the National Executive Committee meeting of April 24, which voted to suspend him, was irregular, unconstitutional, and in his own words, a coup.
Kenyans now shift focus to Commonwealth Games after shining at Africa meet in Accra
After an overall second place in the continent at the 24th African Senior Athletics Championships, Kenyan stars have firmly set their sights on the Commonwealth Games in July.
New motorsports body up and running with autocross action at Stoni Athi
There was jubilation as fans welcomed the recognition of Motorsports Kenya Federation by the government as the official and legitimate motorsport governing body in the country.
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS