Chelsea have lost 4 of their last 5 games! Willock's thunderous second-half goal earns Newcastle 1-0 win over Blues

Football
By Associated Press | Nov 12, 2022
Newcastle United's Joe Willock celebrates scoring during the Premier League match between Newcastle United and Chelsea FC at St James' Park, in Newcastle, England, Saturday Nov. 12, 2022. (Owen Humphreys/PA via AP)

Graham Potter's Chelsea reign already looks to be in crisis after a 1-0 defeat at Newcastle on Saturday left the London club eighth in the Premier League.

Joe Willock's 67th-minute strike consigned Chelsea to a third straight loss in the league - and a fourth in five games in all competitions.

It's a run that will pile the pressure on the former Brighton manager, who has only been in the job for two months.

It will also test the faith that Chelsea's American owners Todd Boehly and Clearlake Capital have in the man they chose to lead their overhaul of the club. They have already demonstrated their ruthless side when firing Thomas Tuchel in September, just over a year since the German led Chelsea to the Champions League title.

Potter will have to hope his superiors show more patience where he is concerned but alarm bells will be ringing.

A desperate run of results will only fuel concerns that the job was too big and came too soon for a man whose career had previously seen him manage Brighton, Swansea and Swedish team Ostersunds.

And it could still get worse for Chelsea, with Fulham having the chance to move up to eighth on Sunday with a win against Manchester United.

Either way, it promises to be an uncomfortable World Cup break for Potter as the English season pauses until Christmas.

"It is not nice for us," Potter told Sky Sports. "We are in a bad moment. We take the break to recharge and go again.

"Sometimes you have to accept the struggles you have. It is about regrouping and starting again. It is the second half of the season and there is a long way to go."

It is a completely different story for Eddie Howe, whose Newcastle team continued its outstanding start to the season.

This was a fifth-straight win in the league to move to within two points of second-place Manchester City.

The Saudi-backed club will go into the World Cup break third in the standings and looking like genuine contenders for Champions League qualification, if not more.

"I feel immense pride at how the players have performed consistently," Howe said. "Now the challenge is to maintain and enhance that. We'll focus on what we think we can improve as a team. Hopefully the boys can come back from the World Cup in good spirits.

"I'll enjoy maybe a few days off, but then the challenge is to come back and make sure we hit the ground running."

Share this story
It's fresh faces and familiar rivals as Stars prepare for 2027 Afcon
Coach McCarthy has named five new faces in Harambee Stars squad.Kenya to face South Africa, Guinea and Eritrea in 2027 Afcon qualifiers.,
SportPesa Premier League: APS Bomet edge Bandari to ease relegation fears
The win eased off relegation fears APS Bomet have been battling for the better part of their debut season in the Premier League.
Experienced Okello, Chajira named in Kenya Lionesses squad for Rugby Africa Cup
Kenya Lionesses have named an experienced squad featuring Janet Okello and Sheila Chajira for the Rugby Africa Cup as they aim to improve on their previous runner-up finish.
McCarthy set for emotional South Africa reunion after AFCON Draw
Harambee Stars coach Benni McCarthy is preparing for an emotional clash against his home country after Kenya was drawn with South Africa in the 2027 Afcon qualifiers.
Junior Starlets gear up for World Cup qualifier encounter against Uganda
Junior Starlets have set their sights on a crucial away win over Uganda’s Teen Cranes as they aim to secure their return to the global stage.
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS