Brazilian club Cruzeiro promoted after Ronaldo's investment

Football
By Associated Press | Sep 22, 2022
Former Brazilian soccer star Ronaldo Luis Nazario waves to the crowd before a World Football Summit conference, in Madrid, Spain, Sept. 25, 2018.

Less than year after former Brazil great Ronaldo got involved with the club, Cruzeiro has made it back into the country's top soccer league.

The Brazilian team clinched a top-four spot in the second division on Wednesday by beating Vasco da Gama 3-0 at the Mineirao Stadium. The top four teams in the league will all play in the first division next season.

"This is the icing on our cake. We worked a lot to deserve this," Ronaldo told SporTV. "We will celebrate for a few days and then think about next year."

The club, which is based in Belo Horizonte, was relegated in 2019 following a successful run over the last decade that included winning two of its four league titles in history. But then came a massive financial crisis, which police later said was fostered by the mismanagement of former executives. Analysts say Cruzeiro was at one time about 1 billion Brazilian reals (about $200 million) in debt.

Ronaldo, who won the World Cup with Brazil in 2002 and previously held the record for most goals scored at the tournament with 15, announced in December he had bought Cruzeiro's soccer department. The move came after a new law was passed to foster investment in Brazilian soccer.

Local media reported that Ronaldo bought 90% of the shares for about 400 million Brazilian reals ($78 million).

Ronaldo soon promised dramatic changes in the club's management and a return to the top league. He signed little known players and cut expenses to get Cruzeiro afloat.

Ronaldo is also an executive at Spanish club Valladolid, which was recently promoted as well.

"We are both in first division," the Spanish club wrote on Twitter in congratulating Cruzeiro.

Share this story
Veteran goalkeeper Neuer recalled to aid Germany World Cup bid
Veteran goalkeeper Manuel Neuer was handed a surprise recall to Germany's 26-man World Cup squad, coming out of international retirement to play in the tournament for a fifth time.
Emery urges Villa to use Europa triumph to fuel bold new era
Unai Emery urged Aston Villa to use their historic Europa League final triumph against Freiburg as the foundation for an "ambitious" new era.
DR Congo cancel World Cup training in Kinshasa amid Ebola outbreak
The Democratic Republic of Congo team have cancelled a planned pre-World Cup training camp at home after the country was hit by an Ebola outbreak
For Arsenal, the time is right and the Lord has made it happen
When Patrick Paul Vieira lifted Arsenal’s English Premier League trophy in 2004, petrol in Kenya was retailing at Sh64.99, Diesel was Sh51.60, while kerosene went for Sh38.19.
Julius Yego's exit beckons after his last African show in Ghana
The 37-year-old javelin star is set for his last World Championships and Olympics next year and 2028 respectively.
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS