Nick Mwendwa opens FKF offices, resumes duties after 11 months

Football
By Mike Kihaki | Sep 20, 2022
FKF President Nick Mwendwa during the reopening of the FKF offices at the FIFA goal project in Kasarani on September 20, 2022 (Kelly Ayodi, Standard)

Ousted Football Kenya Federation President Nick Mwendwa has promised a comeback of international football after resuming his duties on Tuesday at the Goal Project, Kandanda House at Kasarani.

The troubled President led FKF Vice President Doris Petra, Secretary General Barry Otieno FKF's Head of Integrity Michael Kamure among others to the facility which had been locked for nearly a year.

Mwendwa said he is back in charge and ready to lead again.

Mwendwa was hounded out of office on November 11, 2021, by Sports CS Amina Mohamed after an audit of the federation's accounts alleged misuse of funds.

Last year Sports Cabinet Secretary Amina Mohamed disbanded the Federation, and the ousted officials were barred from accessing it.

Mwendwa was forcefully removed from office on November 11, last year, by Sports CS Amina Mohamed after an audit of the federation's accounts revealed alleged misuse of funds.

This led to FIFA suspending Kenya from international football which affected the nation's local clubs, national football teams and referees. The country is serving a suspension imposed by Fifa on February 24 for government interference.

Fifa's conditions before lifting the suspension were for the government to return the running of the sport to FKF and for the Goal Project offices to be reopened.

In a letter dated September 8, written to the World football governing body Fifa President Gianni Infantino, Mwendwa said he resumed his duties following the withdrawal of corruption charges raised against him by the Director of Public Prosecution (DPP).

"Reference is made to my letter dated November 29, 2021, with regard to the interim transfer of my powers and responsibilities as FKF President to the FKF Vice president."

"In this regard, following the withdrawal of charges by the Director of Public Prosecution on July 8, 2022, I hereby wish to inform your good office that I have resumed my duties as the FKF president, with immediate effect, in accordance with Article 42 of the FKF constitution (2017)," said Mwendwa in the letter.

FKF officials led by Nick Mwendwa during the reopening of the FKF offices at the FIFA goal project in Kasarani on September 20, 2022 (Kelly Ayodi, Standard)

His resumption of office was one of the conditions FIFA set prior to lifting the ban it imposed on Kenya.

'We will move very fast. Starting tomorrow we have a series of meetings. On Friday, we will hold an NEC meeting which we shall communicate to FIFA and within days we expect the Kenya ban to be lifted,'' said Mwendwa.

Share this story
Ronaldo, 41, leads Portugal into his sixth World Cup
Veteran Portugal striker Cristiano Ronaldo will lead his country into the 2026 World Cup this summer after coach Roberto Martinez named the 41-year-old in his squad on Tuesday.
Kenya's Afcon dream is under threat as FKF officials fight
FKF president Hussein Mohamed insists the National Executive Committee meeting of April 24, which voted to suspend him, was irregular, unconstitutional, and in his own words, a coup.
Kenyans now shift focus to Commonwealth Games after shining at Africa meet in Accra
After an overall second place in the continent at the 24th African Senior Athletics Championships, Kenyan stars have firmly set their sights on the Commonwealth Games in July.
New motorsports body up and running with autocross action at Stoni Athi
There was jubilation as fans welcomed the recognition of Motorsports Kenya Federation by the government as the official and legitimate motorsport governing body in the country.
Fight for survival now down to one team as Bidco, Sofapaka relegated
The battle to survive relegation in the SportPesa Premier League is set for a tense finish with five clubs still fighting to avoid joining Bidco United and Sofapaka in the National Super League.
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS