Lewandowski officially introduced by Barcelona, says he's ready to make history with the club

Football
By Associated Press | Jul 22, 2022
FC Barcelona's Robert Lewandowski warms up Tuesday, July 19, 2022, before the team's friendly soccer match against Inter Miami in Fort Lauderdale, Fla. AP Photo

Robert Lewandowski was officially introduced by Barcelona on Wednesday, saying he is ready to make history with the Spanish club.

Barcelona last weekend reached a deal to sign the Poland striker from Bayern Munich in a transfer worth nearly 50 million euros ($50.8 million). His official introduction had been delayed from Monday.

“I am ready to be part of this club with a great history and to make even more history and win titles,” Lewandowski said in Miami as Barcelona began its preseason tour.

The Catalan club routed Inter Miami 6-0 on Tuesday. It will next face Spanish rival Real Madrid in Las Vegas, then Juventus in Dallas and the New York Red Bulls in New Jersey.

“I saw the win against Inter Miami and I think there is a lot of potential,” the 33-year-old striker said. “We have a lot of work to do.”

Lewandowski, voted FIFA player of the year in 2020 and 2021, has been training individually since joining his new teammates in the United States on Sunday. He is expected to be available for the team’s match against Real Madrid.

The high-profile signing of the prolific striker boosts a Barcelona team that did not win any titles last season following the departure of Argentina great Lionel Messi. The club has been slowly rebuilding its squad after enduring financial struggles in recent seasons.

“Lewandowski has made an extraordinary effort to sign for Barça. We are very proud that you wanted to come and play here and we have high expectations,” club president Joan Laporta said. “It is a signing that has had worldwide repercussions. We are putting Barça back in its place in the world. We are trying to put together a more and more competitive team.”

Share this story
Universities raise the bar in KUSF games
The just concluded Kenya Universities Sports Federation (KUSF) Nairobi North Conference League has once again revealed the growing competitiveness of university sports in Kenya.
Ronaldo, 41, leads Portugal into his sixth World Cup
Veteran Portugal striker Cristiano Ronaldo will lead his country into the 2026 World Cup this summer after coach Roberto Martinez named the 41-year-old in his squad on Tuesday.
Kenya's Afcon dream is under threat as FKF officials fight
FKF president Hussein Mohamed insists the National Executive Committee meeting of April 24, which voted to suspend him, was irregular, unconstitutional, and in his own words, a coup.
Kenyans now shift focus to Commonwealth Games after shining at Africa meet in Accra
After an overall second place in the continent at the 24th African Senior Athletics Championships, Kenyan stars have firmly set their sights on the Commonwealth Games in July.
New motorsports body up and running with autocross action at Stoni Athi
There was jubilation as fans welcomed the recognition of Motorsports Kenya Federation by the government as the official and legitimate motorsport governing body in the country.
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS