Ballon d'Or owner loses trademark fight against UK's Golden Balls

Football
By Reuters | Jul 07, 2022
November 29, 2021 General view of the trophy REUTERS

Les Editions P Amaury, which owns the rights to football award Ballon d'Or, on Wednesday lost its trademark fight against Britain's Golden Balls after a European court backed a patent agency's decision to strip the French firm's rights to TV broadcasting and books.

The Luxembourg-based General Court, Europe's second top court, however restored Ballon d'Or's trademark rights to entertainment services, saying that the EU Intellectual Property Office (EUIPO) was wrong to revoke it.

Ballon d'Or is awarded to the best male and female footballers of the year.

Ballon d'Or's dispute with British sportswear company Golden Balls started in 2017 when the UK company asked EUIPO to cancel the former's trademark because it had not been used.

EU laws allow a third party to do so if trademarks have not been used over a five-year period. The patent agency backed Golden Balls and last year revoked Ballon d'Or's rights to some goods and services.

That prompted the French company to take the fight to the General Court in an attempt to get back its rights to the broadcasting or production of television programmes, shows or films, entertainment and the publication of books, magazines or newspapers.

The General Court agreed with the patent body.

"That company did not establish genuine use of the mark at issue in connection with those services, with the result that the General Court upholds EUIPO's decision to revoke the mark in respect of those services," the tribunal said.

Judges overruled EUIPO in one aspect.

"The organisation, under the contested mark, of the Ballon d'or award ceremony must be classified as an entertainment service," they said.

The parties can appeal on matters of law to the Court of Justice of the European Union (CJEU), Europe's top court.

 

Share this story
Emery urges Villa to use Europa triumph to fuel bold new era
Unai Emery urged Aston Villa to use their historic Europa League final triumph against Freiburg as the foundation for an "ambitious" new era.
DR Congo cancel World Cup training in Kinshasa amid Ebola outbreak
The Democratic Republic of Congo team have cancelled a planned pre-World Cup training camp at home after the country was hit by an Ebola outbreak
For Arsenal, the time is right and the Lord has made it happen
When Patrick Paul Vieira lifted Arsenal’s English Premier League trophy in 2004, petrol in Kenya was retailing at Sh64.99, Diesel was Sh51.60, while kerosene went for Sh38.19.
Julius Yego's exit beckons after his last African show in Ghana
The 37-year-old javelin star is set for his last World Championships and Olympics next year and 2028 respectively.
It's fresh faces and familiar rivals as Stars prepare for 2027 Afcon
Coach McCarthy has named five new faces in Harambee Stars squad.Kenya to face South Africa, Guinea and Eritrea in 2027 Afcon qualifiers.,
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS