Kenya football woes continue as Talanta dish walkover to Homeboyz

Football
By Washington Onyango | Jun 05, 2022
Part of Kakamega Homeboyz players seated waiting for their opponent FC Talanta in vain during FKF Premier League match at Ruaraka grounds on Sunday, June 5, 2022. [Jonah Onyango, Standard]

Kenyan football woes and problems continued on Sunday after FC Talanta failed to show up for their Football Kenya Federation Premier League match against Kakamega Homeboyz at Ruaraka Grounds.

Talanta players failed to show up for the match owing to unpaid salaries and match winning bonuses.

The game was key to the 2021-2022 Premier League title race between Homeboyz and Tusker as the two sides headed into the weekend joint top on 57 points and separated only by goal difference.

Homeboyz players had a pre-match warm up and were ready for the game but no FC Talanta player was at Ruaraka.

The match officials waited for FC Talanta players in vain and after 30 minutes, the centre referee awarded Homeboyz the walkover with two goals.

The walkover means Homeboyz have bagged three points and two goals without kicking a ball heading to their final fixture against Kariobangi Sharks next weekend.

With recent developments it is not clear if FC Talanta will honour Wednesday's rescheduled clash against Gor Mahia at Kasarani.

Talanta head coach Ken Kenyatta couldn't hide his frustration after the debacle. He said players have not trained for the past seven days.

“It pains me giving away free three points to our opponents. I don’t understand and cannot explain why players are not here to take on Homeboyz because I don’t have the authority to do so,” said Kenyatta.

This is not the first time a walkover is issued in the 2021-2022 season.

Already relegated Mathare United have issued three walkovers against Sofapaka, Ulinzi Stars and Bandari while Kariobangi Sharks didn't turn up for their clash against AFC Leopards last month.

Share this story
Veteran goalkeeper Neuer recalled to aid Germany World Cup bid
Veteran goalkeeper Manuel Neuer was handed a surprise recall to Germany's 26-man World Cup squad, coming out of international retirement to play in the tournament for a fifth time.
Emery urges Villa to use Europa triumph to fuel bold new era
Unai Emery urged Aston Villa to use their historic Europa League final triumph against Freiburg as the foundation for an "ambitious" new era.
DR Congo cancel World Cup training in Kinshasa amid Ebola outbreak
The Democratic Republic of Congo team have cancelled a planned pre-World Cup training camp at home after the country was hit by an Ebola outbreak
For Arsenal, the time is right and the Lord has made it happen
When Patrick Paul Vieira lifted Arsenal’s English Premier League trophy in 2004, petrol in Kenya was retailing at Sh64.99, Diesel was Sh51.60, while kerosene went for Sh38.19.
Julius Yego's exit beckons after his last African show in Ghana
The 37-year-old javelin star is set for his last World Championships and Olympics next year and 2028 respectively.
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS