Nakuru fans set to miss out on league action after Afraha Stadium closure

Football
By Ben Ahenda | Apr 21, 2022

Nakuru Governor Lee Kinyanjui during the groundbreaking ceremony of Afraha Stadium in Nakuru on April 30, 2021. The stadium is being upgraded at a cost of sh 650 Million.[kipsang Joseph, Standard]

With the closure of Afraha Stadium owing to a Sh2 billion World Bank aided reconstruction and a ban on ASK Nakuru Showground, there will be no Kenyan Premier League (KPL) matches in Nakuru.

This only comes after the completion of Ulinzi Sports Complex in Nairobi, the new home ground of former KPL champions Ulinzi Stars who officially used Afraha Stadium for the past one and half decades.

The was until they shifted their matches to Kericho Green Stadium following another ban on ASK Nakuru Showground, which acted as their alternative ground.

ASK Nakuru Showground was banned by Football Kenya Federation as it does not meet Fifa standards.

Ulinzi Sports Complex in Langata was inaugurated by President Uhuru Kenyatta last week and the soldiers have since shifted their matches to the venue.

Ulinzi head coach Benjamin Nyangweso has however said they are yet to make up their mind whether they will use the Sports Complex for all their matches.

“We have not come up with a proper schedule as to where we’ll be playing our matches. That’s a matter for another day,” he said.

This is the first time in five decades that Nakuru, which over the years was regarded as the granary of Kenyan football will not to have a representation in the top flight league.

Nakuru County Director of Sports Alice Gekonde admitted the delay in completion in the first phase of Afraha Stadium that has cost Sh 650 million.

The first phase was meant to reconstruct all the stands, dressing and washrooms, offices, install water facilities and a tartan track all around the pitch and reconstruct the pitch. 

Share this story
Experienced Okello, Chajira named in Kenya Lionesses squad for Rugby Africa Cup
Kenya Lionesses have named an experienced squad featuring Janet Okello and Sheila Chajira for the Rugby Africa Cup as they aim to improve on their previous runner-up finish.
McCarthy set for emotional South Africa reunion after AFCON Draw
Harambee Stars coach Benni McCarthy is preparing for an emotional clash against his home country after Kenya was drawn with South Africa in the 2027 Afcon qualifiers.
Junior Starlets gear up for World Cup qualifier encounter against Uganda
Junior Starlets have set their sights on a crucial away win over Uganda’s Teen Cranes as they aim to secure their return to the global stage.
Under-20 talents to face off in battle for tickets to world event in Eugene
The World Under-20 Championships is set for August 5-9 in Eugene.
Over 2,500 players to battle it out in Duracoat Golf Masters Series
The Duracoat Golf Masters series 2026 will be played at 12 venues before the grand finale that will be staged at Mount Kipipiri at the end of the year. 
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS