AC Milan owners Elliott join Candy consortium in bid for Chelsea

Football
By Reuters | Mar 24, 2022
11/12/16 Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich in the stands Action Images via Reuters

AC Milan owners Elliott Management have joined the Nick Candy-led Blue Football consortium as a "minor investor" in their bid to buy Premier League club Chelsea, sources close to the deal told Reuters.

Chelsea were initially put up for sale by owner Roman Abramovich following Russia's invasion of Ukraine before sanctions were imposed on the oligarch by the British government, effectively giving it control of the club.

Bidders were expecting to hear back from U.S. bank Raine Group, who are overseeing the sale in conjunction with Chelsea, as to whether they had made a narrowed shortlist earlier this week, but sources said bid revisions have slowed the process.

British property developer Candy's bid was increased on Monday after being joined by "another large Korean financial institution", they said in a statement, with sources adding the consortium has grown further on Thursday.

Elliott Management, an American hedgefund business, have injected a "multi-million pound sum" into the bid, the sources told Reuters.

Elliott became Milan owners in 2018 and have since helped the Italian giants become much more competitive in Serie A. They top the standings and are chasing their first league title in 11 years.

Representatives from Elliott did not immediately respond to Reuters' requests for comment.

Candy had initially been joined in his consortium by South Korean companies Hana Financial Group and C&P Sports Limited before the new investors got on board.

Others who have made their offers public include Chicago Cubs owners the Ricketts family as well as the pairing of former Liverpool chairman Martin Broughton and World Athletics President Sebastian Coe.

London-based global investment firm Centricus also said they had offered to buy Chelsea, a move driven by co-founder Nizar Al-Bassam and CEO Garth Ritchie, who are said to be season-ticket holders.

 

Share this story
Sh11 B more to beat AFCON 2027 deadline
Kenya requires an additional Sh11.02 billion from the Exchequer to  complete key stadiums earmarked for the 2027 Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON),
Universities raise the bar in KUSF games
The just concluded Kenya Universities Sports Federation (KUSF) Nairobi North Conference League has once again revealed the growing competitiveness of university sports in Kenya.
Ronaldo, 41, leads Portugal into his sixth World Cup
Veteran Portugal striker Cristiano Ronaldo will lead his country into the 2026 World Cup this summer after coach Roberto Martinez named the 41-year-old in his squad on Tuesday.
Kenya's Afcon dream is under threat as FKF officials fight
FKF president Hussein Mohamed insists the National Executive Committee meeting of April 24, which voted to suspend him, was irregular, unconstitutional, and in his own words, a coup.
McCarthy faces emotional South Africa reunion
Kenya's Harambee Stars placed in Group D for PAMOJA 2027 AFCON qualifiers alongside South Africa (Bafana Bafana), Guinea and Eritrea
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS