Everton suspends sponsorships with Russian companies

Football
By Reuters | Mar 02, 2022
USM branding is seen at Finch Farm, training complex of Everton Football Club, after Everton suspend sponsorships with Russian companies owned by Alisher Usmanov following the invasion of Ukraine, Halewood, Britain, March 2, 2022 REUTERS

Everton have suspended all commercial sponsorship arrangements with the Russian companies USM Holdings, MegaFon and Yota with immediate effect as a result of Russia's invasion of Ukraine, the Premier League club said on Wednesday.

USM Holdings and MegaFon are linked to billionaire and oligarch Alisher Usmanov, who was sanctioned by the European Union for Russia's invasion of Ukraine. Mobile virtual network operator Yota is part of the MegaFon Group.

Everton had agreed a 30 million pounds ($39.97 million) naming rights deal with Usmanov for their proposed new Bramley-Moore Dock stadium back in 2020. His holding company USM has sponsored Everton's Finch Farm training ground since 2017.

"Everyone at Everton remains shocked and saddened by the appalling events unfolding in Ukraine," Everton said in a statement https://www.evertonfc.com/news/2511577.

"This tragic situation must end as soon as possible, and any further loss of life must be avoided."

The club added they were providing "full support" to their defender and Ukraine international Vitalii Mykolenko and his family.

Usmanov previously had a 30% stake in Arsenal but sold it to American Stan Kroenke in 2018.

Share this story
Sh11 B more to beat AFCON 2027 deadline
Kenya requires an additional Sh11.02 billion from the Exchequer to  complete key stadiums earmarked for the 2027 Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON),
Universities raise the bar in KUSF games
The just concluded Kenya Universities Sports Federation (KUSF) Nairobi North Conference League has once again revealed the growing competitiveness of university sports in Kenya.
Ronaldo, 41, leads Portugal into his sixth World Cup
Veteran Portugal striker Cristiano Ronaldo will lead his country into the 2026 World Cup this summer after coach Roberto Martinez named the 41-year-old in his squad on Tuesday.
Kenya's Afcon dream is under threat as FKF officials fight
FKF president Hussein Mohamed insists the National Executive Committee meeting of April 24, which voted to suspend him, was irregular, unconstitutional, and in his own words, a coup.
McCarthy faces emotional South Africa reunion
Kenya's Harambee Stars placed in Group D for PAMOJA 2027 AFCON qualifiers alongside South Africa (Bafana Bafana), Guinea and Eritrea
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS