Matasi rallies Tusker as they look to bounce back against Sofapaka

Football
By Washington Onyango | Feb 25, 2022
Tusker FC Goalkeeper Patrick Matasi during FKF Premier League match match against Bandari FC at Ruaraka grounds on Wednesday, Feb 2, 2022. [photo courtesy]

Tusker goalkeeper Patrick Matasi has urged his teammates to keep the simple fundamentals that have been key in a run of six unbeaten matches ahead of their FKF Premier League match against Sofapaka at Wundanyi Stadium on Friday.

The Harambee stars goalkeeper said the team cannot afford to drop their heads at a critical time when the second leg of the season is just getting started.

Matasi, and by extension the team, has kept six consecutive clean sheets, winning four matches. The six have taken Matasi’s run of clean sheets to eight in 10 matches.

“We were playing well and losing because of conceding easy goals and I just stirred up the boys and told them that let’s first work on conceding goals. I said that we should not concede in games and that was our starting point,” Matasi was quoted by the club’s website.

“I know that in this team we have scorers and if we can keep a clean sheet, there is a high chance we will get a goal. These simple fundamentals have worked. We have been compact as a team, worked together and everyone is going an extra mile to assist the team get good results.”

Looking forward to the game against Sofapaka on Friday afternoon Matasi said they are aiming at bouncing back to winning ways after their last draw against Ulinzi Stars.

“It is another big match for us and we hope for the best. We have prepared well because we have had enough time to rest since our last game last week Wednesday and everyone is positive and hungry for those three points.”

“Sofapaka is not an easy team to play against. When we played them in the first leg, which was my first match of the season, I noted that they play a lot of direct balls. If we can deny them those spaces to run and distribute the balls, we will make it easier for ourselves and control the game better.”

 

Share this story
Ronaldo, 41, leads Portugal into his sixth World Cup
Veteran Portugal striker Cristiano Ronaldo will lead his country into the 2026 World Cup this summer after coach Roberto Martinez named the 41-year-old in his squad on Tuesday.
Kenya's Afcon dream is under threat as FKF officials fight
FKF president Hussein Mohamed insists the National Executive Committee meeting of April 24, which voted to suspend him, was irregular, unconstitutional, and in his own words, a coup.
Kenyans now shift focus to Commonwealth Games after shining at Africa meet in Accra
After an overall second place in the continent at the 24th African Senior Athletics Championships, Kenyan stars have firmly set their sights on the Commonwealth Games in July.
New motorsports body up and running with autocross action at Stoni Athi
There was jubilation as fans welcomed the recognition of Motorsports Kenya Federation by the government as the official and legitimate motorsport governing body in the country.
Fight for survival now down to one team as Bidco, Sofapaka relegated
The battle to survive relegation in the SportPesa Premier League is set for a tense finish with five clubs still fighting to avoid joining Bidco United and Sofapaka in the National Super League.
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS