Marseille receive one-year transfer ban over Gueye dispute - Watford

Football
By Reuters | Jan 18, 2022
Pape Gueye: Fifa suspends Senegal star [photo courtesy]

Ligue 1 club Olympique Marseille have been handed a one-year transfer ban by FIFA for their involvement in a long-running transfer dispute over Senegal international Pape Gueye with Watford, the Premier League club said on Monday.

Gueye had been in the Senegal line-up to take on Guinea in an Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON) Group B match in Bafoussam on Friday, but was taken off the team sheet after being suspended by FIFA.

According to French sports daily L'Equipe, Gueye's suspension was the latest twist in a saga that started two years ago when the French-born midfielder signed a pre-contract at Watford ahead of the end of his deal at Ligue 2 club Le Havre.

The newspaper said that soon afterwards Gueye changed his agent, who recommended he pull out of the deal. Instead, he signed a four-year contract at Marseille in July 2020.

It said Watford filed a complaint to FIFA's Dispute Resolution Chamber, last February.

"Watford FC confirms a FIFA Football Tribunal has considered the claim lodged against the player Pape Alassane Gueye and the French club Olympique de Marseille, ruling as follows," Watford said in a statement.

"Pape Alassane Gueye and Olympique de Marseille shall jointly and severally pay Watford FC compensation for breach of contract without just cause.

"Olympique de Marseille shall be banned from registering any new players, either nationally or internationally, for the next two entire and consecutive registration periods."

Watford added that Gueye was restricted from competing in official matches for four months, pending a decision by the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS).

Marseille took note of FIFA's ruling and said they intend to appeal the punishment to CAS.

 

Share this story
Mixed results for top boxers as Police, KDF lead after first leg
Defending champions Kenya Police and Kenya Defence Forces shared the lead after the opening leg of the National Boxing League in Nakuru, as several top boxers suffered surprise defeats.
Kipyegon storms to victory in DL opener
Double Olympic champion and world record holder Faith Kipyegon made a powerful statement at the opening leg of the 2026 Diamond League season
Kenya basks in 10,000m glory at African Senior Athletics event
Diana Wanza made it a 10,000m double gold for the country when she oozed class in the women’s 25-lap contest on Friday evening.
Eldonets and Stanbic Aces win as UoN, Strathmore students falter
Eldonets rallied from behind to beat University of Nairobi (UoN) Dynamites 67-48, while the bankers defeated Strathmore University Swords 56-46.
Athena revels in her success at global showpiece
Kenya’s teenage sensation, Athena Diamantidis, has expressed her delight after claiming gold and bronze medals
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS