Man United's Premier League match at Brentford postponed due to COVID-19

Football
By Reuters | Dec 14, 2021

Manchester United's Premier League match at Brentford on Tuesday has been postponed due to a number of COVID-19 cases at the Old Trafford club, the league announced on Monday.

United had reported a "small number" of cases discovered among first-team staff and players on Sunday, with the squad who travelled to Norwich City for their Premier League clash on Saturday kept apart from those who had the virus.

"The decision (to postpone the Brentford-United game) was taken following guidance from medical advisers due to the exceptional circumstances of an ongoing COVID-19 outbreak within Manchester United's squad," the league said in a statement.

"First team operations at the club’s Carrington Training Complex were closed down today to help control the outbreak and minimise risk of further infection among players and staff."

Discussions took place with the Premier League as to whether it would be safe to fulfil Tuesday's fixture, with United deferring their travel to London until a decision had been made.

The Premier League found a record 42 cases of COVID-19 among players and staff at various clubs over the past week.

The 42 positive tests from over 3,800 individuals is more than the tally from the previous seven weeks combined and a record in the English top flight in a single week.

"The League has reverted to its Emergency Measures, and will increase the frequency of both Lateral Flow and PCR COVID-19 testing of players and staff," it said in a statement.

Brentford said they welcomed the decision to postpone Tuesday's match.

"We appreciate that there will be many fans who will be inconvenienced with the fixture postponement and we apologise for the disruption, which was out of our control," the club said.

"We respect the Premier League's decision and acknowledge that the health and safety of both clubs' players and staff must always come first.

"We wish everyone affected a speedy recovery and look forward to hosting Manchester United at the Brentford Community Stadium in the new year."

Share this story
Veteran goalkeeper Neuer recalled to aid Germany World Cup bid
Veteran goalkeeper Manuel Neuer was handed a surprise recall to Germany's 26-man World Cup squad, coming out of international retirement to play in the tournament for a fifth time.
Emery urges Villa to use Europa triumph to fuel bold new era
Unai Emery urged Aston Villa to use their historic Europa League final triumph against Freiburg as the foundation for an "ambitious" new era.
DR Congo cancel World Cup training in Kinshasa amid Ebola outbreak
The Democratic Republic of Congo team have cancelled a planned pre-World Cup training camp at home after the country was hit by an Ebola outbreak
For Arsenal, the time is right and the Lord has made it happen
When Patrick Paul Vieira lifted Arsenal’s English Premier League trophy in 2004, petrol in Kenya was retailing at Sh64.99, Diesel was Sh51.60, while kerosene went for Sh38.19.
Julius Yego's exit beckons after his last African show in Ghana
The 37-year-old javelin star is set for his last World Championships and Olympics next year and 2028 respectively.
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS