Newcastle urge supporters to refrain from wearing traditional Arabic attire at games

Football
By Reuters | Oct 20, 2021
Newcastle United ask fans not to wear traditional Arabic clothing at matches

Newcastle United have urged fans to refrain from wearing traditional Arabic attire or Middle East-inspired head coverings at games, the Premier League club said in a statement on Wednesday.

Newcastle were acquired by a Saudi Arabia-led consortium earlier this month.

A number of supporters turned up in robes and head coverings for the home clash against Tottenham Hotspur at the weekend, the first game since the takeover.

"No-one among the new ownership group was in any way offended by the attire of the fans who chose to celebrate in this way. It was a gesture that was acknowledged as positive and welcoming in its intent," the club said.

"However, there remains the possibility that dressing this way is culturally inappropriate and risks causing offence to others."

"All visitors to the club are... encouraged to wear whatever is the norm for their own culture or religion, continuing to reflect the broad and rich multicultural communities and groups from which the club proudly draws its support."

Equality and inclusion group Kick It Out are reportedly planning to offer education workshops in Newcastle to supporters to explain how impersonating Arabs could be considered be racist or culturally insensitive.

British MPs this week also criticised Newcastle fans for donning homemade keffiyehs, while ignoring the Saudi Arabian state's human right abuses.

Earlier on Wednesday, Newcastle announced that manager Steve Bruce had left the club by mutual consent, with his assistant Graeme Jones set to take charge on an interim basis.

Share this story
Experienced Okello, Chajira named in Kenya Lionesses squad for Rugby Africa Cup
Kenya Lionesses have named an experienced squad featuring Janet Okello and Sheila Chajira for the Rugby Africa Cup as they aim to improve on their previous runner-up finish.
McCarthy set for emotional South Africa reunion after AFCON Draw
Harambee Stars coach Benni McCarthy is preparing for an emotional clash against his home country after Kenya was drawn with South Africa in the 2027 Afcon qualifiers.
Junior Starlets gear up for World Cup qualifier encounter against Uganda
Junior Starlets have set their sights on a crucial away win over Uganda’s Teen Cranes as they aim to secure their return to the global stage.
Under-20 talents to face off in battle for tickets to world event in Eugene
The World Under-20 Championships is set for August 5-9 in Eugene.
Over 2,500 players to battle it out in Duracoat Golf Masters Series
The Duracoat Golf Masters series 2026 will be played at 12 venues before the grand finale that will be staged at Mount Kipipiri at the end of the year. 
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS