Turkish tactician Engin Farat takes charge of Harambee Stars -days after ‘Ghost’ Mulee resigned

Football
By Odero Charles | Sep 19, 2021
Ex-Eintracht Frankfurt, Fenerbahce tactician confirmed as Harambee Stars coach [R] "Nick" Mwendwa September 19, 2021. [Jonah Onyango, Standard]

Turkish tactician Engin Farat has been appointed the Kenyan national team Harambee Stars head coach on a two months contract, the Football Kenya Federation announced on Sunday afternoon.

Firat takes over from Jacob ‘Ghost’ Mulee who resigned from the post a few days ago.

The 51-year-old tactician will be assisted by Kennedy Odhiambo and William Muluya. Jerim Onyango will be the new Goalkeeping Coach.

Firat’s assignment will be the upcoming 2022 FIFA World Cup Qualifiers against Mali, away and home, on October 8, and October 12, 2021, respectively.

"FKF is bringing Firat at a time when Harambee Stars are competing for a FIFA World Cup ticket, and Kenya stand second in the group E and we have a clear chance to compete well in this group," Football Kenya Federation President Nick Mwendwa said.

"Firat has the experience to handle the team since he is a top coach."

On his part,Firat said: “I am motivated and excited about the challenge. I am confident that we can get the positive result we desire in this qualification campaign.”

Since the current FKF regime took over in 2016, Bobby Williamson, Stanley Okumbi, Paul Putt, Sebastien Migne, Francis Kimanzi and Mulee have taken charge of Harambee Stars.

In the six matches he guided Harambee Stars, Mulee won only one; against Togo away in Lome, before drawing against Egypt and Comoros at home in the Afcon qualifiers.

He then lost 2-1 to the lowly-ranked Comoros away in Moroni, a result that confirmed Stars would not return to the biggest African football tournament.

New Harambee Stars Coach Engin Firat and FkF President Nick Mwendwa at a press conference in Nairobi. [Jonah Onyango, Standard]

About Coach Engin

Engin Farat holds a UEFA Pro Coaching License and was most recently attached to the Moldova National team.

He has previously had coaching stints in the Iranian Super League with Saipa, Folad Tabriz, and Sepahan, as well as the Iranian National Team.

Share this story
Under-20 talents to face off in battle for tickets to world event in Eugene
The World Under-20 Championships is set for August 5-9 in Eugene.
Over 2,500 players to battle it out in Duracoat Golf Masters Series
The Duracoat Golf Masters series 2026 will be played at 12 venues before the grand finale that will be staged at Mount Kipipiri at the end of the year. 
Sh11 B more to beat AFCON 2027 deadline
Kenya requires an additional Sh11.02 billion from the Exchequer to  complete key stadiums earmarked for the 2027 Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON),
Universities raise the bar in KUSF games
The just concluded Kenya Universities Sports Federation (KUSF) Nairobi North Conference League has once again revealed the growing competitiveness of university sports in Kenya.
Ronaldo, 41, leads Portugal into his sixth World Cup
Veteran Portugal striker Cristiano Ronaldo will lead his country into the 2026 World Cup this summer after coach Roberto Martinez named the 41-year-old in his squad on Tuesday.
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS