Klopp: Brazilian players being punished for tussle between club and country

Football
By Reuters | Sep 10, 2021
August 28, 2021 Liverpool manager Juergen Klopp reacts REUTERS

Liverpool manager Juergen Klopp said he was unsure if his Brazilian players could play against Leeds United in the Premier League on Sunday after they were ruled ineligible because the Merseyside club did not release them for World Cup qualifiers.

The Brazilian Football Confederation (CBF) triggered an "automatic restriction period" of five days which stops clubs picking players who have not been released, asking FIFA to enforce their rules.

Liverpool refused to release the players as they would have had to quarantine for 10 days at a hotel on their return to England.

Klopp said they would have needed a further 10 days to get back on track if they went into hotel quarantine.

"It's a really difficult situation and it's really tricky for all the clubs and players... We should not forget that the players wanted to play these games. The clubs wanted to let players go but it was just not possible," Klopp told reporters on Friday.

"It looks like the real punishment is for the players because they can't play. That's what they do, that's what they love to do. That's really not ok. The world is still in a pandemic.

"The football players so far get exemptions which haven't led to any spread in cities because of all the things we do during the week. It's completely different to society out there. We get tested three times a week."

Forward Roberto Firmino is unavailable for Liverpool's trip to Leeds but goalkeeper Alisson Becker and midfielder Fabinho are ineligible.

Brazil were unable to finish their game against Argentina when health authorities invaded the pitch to stop the match after accusing four of Argentina's Premier League players of violating the country's COVID-19 quarantine rules.

"Nobody wants to see situations like that. Get the game cancelled, stopped in that moment," Klopp told the club's website, adding that they could have played their qualifiers during the off-season instead of a second Copa America in two years.

"And now, the next thing, we have a football game to play again and they tell us we cannot play our Brazilian players. It's like, 'Huh?' We did nothing.

"We didn't organise the Copa America, we are not responsible for the games they couldn't have played. We didn't invite players, we didn't say when they come back there's no exemption. We all didn't do that."

 

Share this story
It's fresh faces and familiar rivals as Stars prepare for 2027 Afcon
Coach McCarthy has named five new faces in Harambee Stars squad.Kenya to face South Africa, Guinea and Eritrea in 2027 Afcon qualifiers.,
SportPesa Premier League: APS Bomet edge Bandari to ease relegation fears
The win eased off relegation fears APS Bomet have been battling for the better part of their debut season in the Premier League.
Experienced Okello, Chajira named in Kenya Lionesses squad for Rugby Africa Cup
Kenya Lionesses have named an experienced squad featuring Janet Okello and Sheila Chajira for the Rugby Africa Cup as they aim to improve on their previous runner-up finish.
McCarthy set for emotional South Africa reunion after AFCON Draw
Harambee Stars coach Benni McCarthy is preparing for an emotional clash against his home country after Kenya was drawn with South Africa in the 2027 Afcon qualifiers.
Junior Starlets gear up for World Cup qualifier encounter against Uganda
Junior Starlets have set their sights on a crucial away win over Uganda’s Teen Cranes as they aim to secure their return to the global stage.
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS