Ole Gunnar reacts to news of Ronaldo leaving Juventus -sends powerful message

Football
By Reuters | Aug 27, 2021
Cristiano Ronaldo and Ole Gunnar Solskjaer [photo courtesy]

Manchester United could be a possible destination for Cristiano Ronaldo after it was confirmed on Friday that the Portugal forward plans to leave Juventus, the Premier League club's manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has said.

Juve coach Massimiliano Allegri said earlier in the day that Ronaldo had told the Italian club he had no intention of staying on this season, amid media speculation that United's rivals Manchester City were planning to sign him.

Ronaldo spent six seasons with United from 2003-2009, winning eight major trophies and the Ballon d'Or as the world's best player in 2008 before sealing a then world record 80 million pounds ($109.78 million) move to Real Madrid.

Solskjaer told a news conference ahead of United's Premier League trip to Wolverhampton Wanderers on Sunday that his club were in touch with Ronaldo, whose Portugal team mate Bruno Fernandes plays for United.

"We've always had a good communication," Solskjaer said. "Bruno's been talking to (Ronaldo) as well and he knows what we feel about him. If he was ever going to move away from Juventus he knows we're here.

"I don't want to speculate too much. He is such a legend of this club, the greatest player of all time if you ask me. I was fortunate enough to play with him, to coach him. He's such a tremendous human being as well.

"Let's see. Everyone who has played with him has a soft spot for him."

Ronaldo, 36, joined Juventus from Real in 2018 for 100 million euros ($117.53 million) and has scored 101 goals and won two league titles and the Coppa Italia during his time in Turin.

Juventus' Portuguese forward Cristiano Ronaldo reacts at the end of the Italian Serie A football match AC Milan vs Juventus played behind closed doors on July 7, 2020 at the San Siro stadium in Milan AFP

He is also Real's all-time top scorer with 451 goals in all competitions and won four Champions League trophies and two LaLiga titles with the Spanish club.

United have brought in winger Jadon Sancho from Borussia Dortmund and centre back Raphael Varane from Real, among a host of others, and Solskjaer said they could make more signings, though he is happy with the players at his disposal.

"Any manager is always looking for a little bit more," he said. "I'm happy with the numbers we have, quality we have, it is really good."

Share this story
Experienced Okello, Chajira named in Kenya Lionesses squad for Rugby Africa Cup
Kenya Lionesses have named an experienced squad featuring Janet Okello and Sheila Chajira for the Rugby Africa Cup as they aim to improve on their previous runner-up finish.
McCarthy set for emotional South Africa reunion after AFCON Draw
Harambee Stars coach Benni McCarthy is preparing for an emotional clash against his home country after Kenya was drawn with South Africa in the 2027 Afcon qualifiers.
Junior Starlets gear up for World Cup qualifier encounter against Uganda
Junior Starlets have set their sights on a crucial away win over Uganda’s Teen Cranes as they aim to secure their return to the global stage.
Under-20 talents to face off in battle for tickets to world event in Eugene
The World Under-20 Championships is set for August 5-9 in Eugene.
Over 2,500 players to battle it out in Duracoat Golf Masters Series
The Duracoat Golf Masters series 2026 will be played at 12 venues before the grand finale that will be staged at Mount Kipipiri at the end of the year. 
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS