England's Saka urges social media companies to step up fight against abuse

Football
By Reuters | Jul 16, 2021
July 11, 2021 England's Bukayo Saka looks dejected after losing the penalty shootout Pool via REUTERS

England's Bukayo Saka said popular social media platforms are not doing enough to prevent online racist abuse after he was on the receiving end following his missed penalty in Sunday's European Championship final against Italy.

Substitutes Marcus Rashford, Jadon Sancho and Saka all missed spot kicks in the 3-2 shootout loss to Italy and Saka - who was reduced to tears after the final - penned an apology to the fans as the country's 55-year trophy drought was extended.

Saka, 19, thanked those who sent him messages of support and campaigned on his behalf, saying: "Love always wins," but vowed to stand strong against the hateful messages he received online.

"My reaction post-match said it all, I was hurting so much and I felt like I'd let you all and my England family down, but I can promise you this: I will not let that moment or the negativity that I've received this week break me," Saka said on Twitter on Thursday.

"To the social media platforms Instagram, Twitter and Facebook, I don't want any child or adult to have to receive the hateful and hurtful messages that me, Marcus and Jadon have received this week.

"I knew instantly the kind of hate that I was about to receive and that is a sad reality that your powerful platforms are not doing enough to stop these messages."

The three Black players were targeted on social media after the final, with the racial abuse prompting a police investigation and country-wide condemnation.

Rashford and Sancho had also apologies earlier this week, with Sancho saying he was not surprised by the racist abuse that followed.

British police said four people have been arrested over online racist abuse aimed at England's players while a hate crime investigation led by the UK Football Policing Unit is under way.

British Prime Minister Boris Johnson has promised to tackle online abuse, but he and other ministers have been accused of hypocrisy for not condemning those who booed the players at the start of the tournament for their "taking the knee" anti-racism protest.

Share this story
Veteran goalkeeper Neuer recalled to aid Germany World Cup bid
Veteran goalkeeper Manuel Neuer was handed a surprise recall to Germany's 26-man World Cup squad, coming out of international retirement to play in the tournament for a fifth time.
Emery urges Villa to use Europa triumph to fuel bold new era
Unai Emery urged Aston Villa to use their historic Europa League final triumph against Freiburg as the foundation for an "ambitious" new era.
DR Congo cancel World Cup training in Kinshasa amid Ebola outbreak
The Democratic Republic of Congo team have cancelled a planned pre-World Cup training camp at home after the country was hit by an Ebola outbreak
For Arsenal, the time is right and the Lord has made it happen
When Patrick Paul Vieira lifted Arsenal’s English Premier League trophy in 2004, petrol in Kenya was retailing at Sh64.99, Diesel was Sh51.60, while kerosene went for Sh38.19.
Julius Yego's exit beckons after his last African show in Ghana
The 37-year-old javelin star is set for his last World Championships and Olympics next year and 2028 respectively.
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS