Unlike Ronaldo, Bonucci toasts Italy success with Coca-Cola, Heineken

Football
By Reuters | Jul 12, 2021
Bonucci enjoys beer after winning match [Photo Courtesy]

While bottles of Coca-Cola and Heineken were hid from view by Cristiano Ronaldo and Paul Pogba at the European Championship, Italy defender Leonardo Bonucci could not get enough of the sponsors' offerings on Sunday, taking big swigs of both drinks as he spoke to media after their victory over England.

Italy trailed England after Luke Shaw's early strike in the final at Wembley Stadium but Bonucci scored the equaliser before his team went on to win 3-2 in a penalty shootout following extra time.

Bonucci won European soccer governing body UEFA's star of the match award and arrived at a news conference with his trophy in one hand and the two beverages in the other, taking drinks of one then the other as he answered questions.

Earlier in the tournament, UEFA responded to Portugal forward Ronaldo's removal of a Coca-Cola bottle at a news conference by telling teams they had contractual obligations towards tournament sponsors.

Bonucci enjoys Coca-Cola after winning match [Photo Courtesy]

Ronaldo moved the bottles aside as he sat down to speak to the media before Portugal's Group F opener against Hungary.

The 36-year-old held up a bottle of water and said "Agua" in Portuguese, making headlines. After the snub - which was viewed by millions - stock in the drinks company dipped 1.6%, losing about $4 billion in value.

A day later, France midfielder Pogba, who is a Muslim, removed a bottle of Heineken beer from in front of him after France's victory over Germany.

Drink water, not Coke”: Cristiano Ronaldo rules in a press conference and throws two bottles of Coca-Cola [Photo Courtesy]

Veteran defender Bonucci hailed Italy's team spirit that led to their first European Championship title since 1968.

"We were special in that we believed right from day one when we all joined up," Bonucci said.

"There was a different feeling in the air and it's come to pass, and it's incredible how, day after day, we never got tired of being together."

Share this story
Sh11 B more to beat AFCON 2027 deadline
Kenya requires an additional Sh11.02 billion from the Exchequer to  complete key stadiums earmarked for the 2027 Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON),
Universities raise the bar in KUSF games
The just concluded Kenya Universities Sports Federation (KUSF) Nairobi North Conference League has once again revealed the growing competitiveness of university sports in Kenya.
Ronaldo, 41, leads Portugal into his sixth World Cup
Veteran Portugal striker Cristiano Ronaldo will lead his country into the 2026 World Cup this summer after coach Roberto Martinez named the 41-year-old in his squad on Tuesday.
Kenya's Afcon dream is under threat as FKF officials fight
FKF president Hussein Mohamed insists the National Executive Committee meeting of April 24, which voted to suspend him, was irregular, unconstitutional, and in his own words, a coup.
McCarthy faces emotional South Africa reunion
Kenya's Harambee Stars placed in Group D for PAMOJA 2027 AFCON qualifiers alongside South Africa (Bafana Bafana), Guinea and Eritrea
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS