Juve, Barca and Real admitted to Champions League next season

Football
By Reuters | Jun 16, 2021

Juventus, Barcelona and Real Madrid have been admitted to next season's Champions League despite their involvement in the proposed breakaway European Super League project.

Admission letters have been sent to all Champions League participants, European soccer's governing body UEFA has said.

Disciplinary proceedings against Juve, Barca and Real over their involvement in the proposed Super League have been suspended by UEFA's independent appeals body.

UEFA opened a probe against the three clubs but last week it suspended proceedings after being notified by the Swiss authorities of a court order from the commercial court in Madrid obtained by the legal entity European Super League Company SL.

"Admission letters have been sent to all clubs participating in next season's UEFA club competitions today," UEFA told Reuters on Tuesday.

Juve, Barca and Real are the last of the 12 clubs who signed up to the Super League in April not to have distanced themselves from the breakaway project which unravelled when all six English clubs plus Inter Milan, AC Milan and Atletico Madrid withdrew.

Super League founder and Juventus chairman Andrea Agnelli said earlier this month that the plan to create a breakaway league was not a coup but a way to save the soccer industry, which has been hit by the novel coronavirus pandemic.

Juve qualified for the Champions League on the final day of last season's Serie A campaign and have since changed coaches, with Massimiliano Allegri back for a second spell.

Share this story
Mixed results for top boxers as Police, KDF lead after first leg
Defending champions Kenya Police and Kenya Defence Forces shared the lead after the opening leg of the National Boxing League in Nakuru, as several top boxers suffered surprise defeats.
Kipyegon storms to victory in DL opener
Double Olympic champion and world record holder Faith Kipyegon made a powerful statement at the opening leg of the 2026 Diamond League season
Kenya basks in 10,000m glory at African Senior Athletics event
Diana Wanza made it a 10,000m double gold for the country when she oozed class in the women’s 25-lap contest on Friday evening.
Eldonets and Stanbic Aces win as UoN, Strathmore students falter
Eldonets rallied from behind to beat University of Nairobi (UoN) Dynamites 67-48, while the bankers defeated Strathmore University Swords 56-46.
Athena revels in her success at global showpiece
Kenya’s teenage sensation, Athena Diamantidis, has expressed her delight after claiming gold and bronze medals
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS