Chelsea being linked with a shock move to sign Erling Haaland from Borussia Dortmund

Football
By Mirror | Jun 08, 2021
March 20, 2021 Borussia Dortmund's Erling Braut Haaland looks dejected Pool [REUTERS]

Chelsea have begun talks over a possible cash-plus-player deal for Erling Haaland this summer.

The Borussia Dortmund star is being eyed by a host of Europe's top clubs following another impressive year.

Haaland scored over 40 times for the Bundesliga outfit last term and is being linked with the exit door.

It will need a sensational offer though to convince Dortmund to sell their prized asset.

Chelsea know that a deal for Haaland is likely to cost around £170m, but could be ready to include Tammy Abraham as part of any agreement, reports the Daily Mail.

The striker has fallen out of favour at Stamford Bridge and could be set for pastures new with the Blues valuing him at around £40m.

Dortmund have benefitted from adding young English talent in recent years and may be tempted by the prospect of having Abraham.

Tuchel has made it clear to Marina Granovskaia and Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich that a prolific frontman is crucial to their development.

The Blues spent just shy of £50m to sign Timo Werner last summer but the German has struggled to adapt to the demands of English football.

Chelsea also have Harry Kane and Romelu Lukaku on their shortlist this summer.

However the former is unlikely to swap Tottenham for west London and Lukaku has expressed a desire to remain at Inter Milan.

Dortmund have continually said that Haaland is not for sale this summer but the striker is known to be ambitious.

The club's sporting director Michael Zorc said last month: "We are still planning with him. He will play for us next season."

However the Norwegian's release clause will come into play next year meaning the Germans can hike their profits if they do decide to cash in.

That said they are unlikely to want to lose both Haaland and Jadon Sancho in the same summer.

The English forward has been heavily linked with a move to Manchester United once again.

An agreement could not be struck last summer but the Red Devils have again returned with Sancho's price believed to have dropped in the past 12 months due to the club's finances.

Dortmund chiefs have said that a "gentleman's agreement" exists with Sancho thus suggesting a move could be the cards.

Share this story
Sh11 B more to beat AFCON 2027 deadline
Kenya requires an additional Sh11.02 billion from the Exchequer to  complete key stadiums earmarked for the 2027 Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON),
Universities raise the bar in KUSF games
The just concluded Kenya Universities Sports Federation (KUSF) Nairobi North Conference League has once again revealed the growing competitiveness of university sports in Kenya.
Ronaldo, 41, leads Portugal into his sixth World Cup
Veteran Portugal striker Cristiano Ronaldo will lead his country into the 2026 World Cup this summer after coach Roberto Martinez named the 41-year-old in his squad on Tuesday.
Kenya's Afcon dream is under threat as FKF officials fight
FKF president Hussein Mohamed insists the National Executive Committee meeting of April 24, which voted to suspend him, was irregular, unconstitutional, and in his own words, a coup.
McCarthy faces emotional South Africa reunion
Kenya's Harambee Stars placed in Group D for PAMOJA 2027 AFCON qualifiers alongside South Africa (Bafana Bafana), Guinea and Eritrea
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS