Match-fixing: Turkish court issues 1,000-year jail terms in Fenerbahce case

Football
By Reuters | Jun 04, 2021
FILE: 3/11/16 Manchester United's Zlatan Ibrahimovic clashes with Fenerbahce's Simon Kjaer as manager Jose Mourinho looks on [Reuters]

A Turkish court on Friday sentenced a media executive and a former police chief to more than 1,000 years each in prison for conspiring to bring match-fixing charges against top soccer club Fenerbahce.

Fenerbahce's president was jailed for match-fixing a decade ago and the club was barred from playing in European competitions for two seasons, but the case was reopened after prosecutors said it was founded on a conspiracy.

The 2011 match-fixing charges were made by prosecutors linked to Fethullah Gulen, a U.S.-based cleric who Turkey says staged an attempted coup in 2016, an accusation Gulen denies.

Turkish soccer at the time was beset by allegations of match-fixing, which Fenerbahce was accused of spearheading.

Fenerbahce's former president Aziz Yildirim was sentenced to six years in prison after being charged with match-fixing and forming an illegal organisation. He spent a year behind bars.

At his trial, he denied the charges and said the case was specifically designed to undermine the Istanbul club which has won Turkey's domestic championship 19 times.

In 2016, an Istanbul prosecutor's indictment alleged the 2011 match-fixing charges were a plot by Gulen supporters, who had infiltrated the Turkish judiciary and police, to frame the club and topple its executives.

The court on Friday sentenced Hidayet Karaca, who was the head of Samanyolu media group - later shut down by the government - to 1,406 years in jail. Karaca was accused of instigating the tapping of phone calls and forging of documents.

Former police chief Nazmi Ardic was sentenced to 2,170 years on charges including forging documents and conspiring against the club. The court handed down jail sentences to at least 25 other defendants, state-owned news agency Anadolu said.

Fenerbahce Chairman Ali Koc told reporters that Friday's court decision proved the club had been the innocent victim of a plot against it by Gulen's network. He vowed to pursue legal avenues for "financial and moral" compensation.

The prosecutors and judges who opened and ruled on the original case fled the country following the coup attempt.

 

Share this story
Mixed results for top boxers as Police, KDF lead after first leg
Defending champions Kenya Police and Kenya Defence Forces shared the lead after the opening leg of the National Boxing League in Nakuru, as several top boxers suffered surprise defeats.
Kipyegon storms to victory in DL opener
Double Olympic champion and world record holder Faith Kipyegon made a powerful statement at the opening leg of the 2026 Diamond League season
Kenya basks in 10,000m glory at African Senior Athletics event
Diana Wanza made it a 10,000m double gold for the country when she oozed class in the women’s 25-lap contest on Friday evening.
Eldonets and Stanbic Aces win as UoN, Strathmore students falter
Eldonets rallied from behind to beat University of Nairobi (UoN) Dynamites 67-48, while the bankers defeated Strathmore University Swords 56-46.
Athena revels in her success at global showpiece
Kenya’s teenage sensation, Athena Diamantidis, has expressed her delight after claiming gold and bronze medals
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS