Brazil to host Copa America in June as pandemic-hit Argentina withdraws

Football
By Reuters | May 31, 2021
A Brazil's fan cheers before a friendly soccer match between Brazil and Honduras at the Beira Rio Stadium in Porto Alegre on June 9, 2019, ahead of Brazil 2019 Copa America. (AFP)

The South American Football Confederation (CONMEBOL) said on Monday it would move next month's Copa America to Brazil, after original host nation Argentina pulled out at the last minute due to a surge in COVID-19 cases.

The decision means the oldest international tournament in the world will kick off as planned on June 13, with the final on July 10.

"The 2021 Copa America will be played in Brazil!" CONMEBOL said in a statement. "The start and finish dates are confirmed. The host cities and the matches will be revealed by CONMEBOL in the coming hours."

The announcement comes less than 24 hours after Argentina said its COVID-19 outbreak meant it could not longer host and despite the fact that Brazil is still fighting its own battle with the coronavirus.

More than 450,000 people have died from COVID-19 in Brazil. Brazil has routinely reported the continent's highest case numbers and deaths, and ranks second highest in the world for both daily reported cases and deaths at present.

This year's Copa America was to be the first featuring joint hosts, but Colombia was removed as co-host on May 20 after a wave of protests demanding social and economic change spread across the country.

CONMEBOL hoped Argentina could then host all 28 games or share them with South American neighbors.

Organizers had been reluctant to call the tournament off because of its importance financially. The last Copa America, held in Brazil in 2019, brought in $118 million in revenue.

Share this story
Experienced Okello, Chajira named in Kenya Lionesses squad for Rugby Africa Cup
Kenya Lionesses have named an experienced squad featuring Janet Okello and Sheila Chajira for the Rugby Africa Cup as they aim to improve on their previous runner-up finish.
McCarthy set for emotional South Africa reunion after AFCON Draw
Harambee Stars coach Benni McCarthy is preparing for an emotional clash against his home country after Kenya was drawn with South Africa in the 2027 Afcon qualifiers.
Junior Starlets gear up for World Cup qualifier encounter against Uganda
Junior Starlets have set their sights on a crucial away win over Uganda’s Teen Cranes as they aim to secure their return to the global stage.
Under-20 talents to face off in battle for tickets to world event in Eugene
The World Under-20 Championships is set for August 5-9 in Eugene.
Over 2,500 players to battle it out in Duracoat Golf Masters Series
The Duracoat Golf Masters series 2026 will be played at 12 venues before the grand finale that will be staged at Mount Kipipiri at the end of the year. 
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS