Former German footballer Christoph Metzelder goes on trial on child pornography charges

Football
By AFP | Apr 30, 2021
Real Madrid's German footballer Christoph Metzelder in action against Shamrock Rovers, July 20, 2009. (Reuters Photo)

German former professional footballer Christoph Metzelder went on trial Thursday accused of sharing child pornography with women online in a case that stunned the sport.

The former Germany and Real Madrid defender, 40, is in the dock at a district court in the western city of Duesseldorf accused of possessing and distributing illicit https://cdn.standardmedia.co.ke/images of minors.

Prosecutors say the 2002 World Cup finalist passed on 29 pornographic files to three women via WhatsApp.

According to the case against him, 297 files with sexual content featuring children or teens were found on Metzelder's mobile phone.

A lawyer for the former player said last week he would "face up" to the charges in court.

"He knows what he has done," Metzelder's attorney Ulrich Sommer told broadcaster RTL.

"He also knows that it can be called a mistake and he knows that he has to face up to his responsibilities."

Metzelder had been working as a pundit for Sky Sports Germany until he came under investigation in September 2019.

Sommer said Metzelder is in therapy, to help him address "certain issues such as sexuality or dealing with women in certain situations".

The lawyer said the former centre-back was "shocked at himself for having had this kind of double life", but insisted his client is "obviously not" a paedophile.

Metzelder was part of the starting line-up in the finals of both the 2002 World Cup and Euro 2008, going on to make 47 appearances for Germany.

Christoph Metzelder (Photo Credit: Reuters)

He played for major clubs such as Madrid and Borussia Dortmund in a career spanning 15 years.

He retired from football in 2014 and since 2006, Metzelder has run a foundation in his own name to support socially disadvantaged children across Germany.

The allegations against him came to light in September 2019 but he has not personally addressed them in public.

The trial is scheduled to run until May 10. If convicted, Metzelder could face a fine or a prison term of three months to five years.

Share this story
Emery urges Villa to use Europa triumph to fuel bold new era
Unai Emery urged Aston Villa to use their historic Europa League final triumph against Freiburg as the foundation for an "ambitious" new era.
DR Congo cancel World Cup training in Kinshasa amid Ebola outbreak
The Democratic Republic of Congo team have cancelled a planned pre-World Cup training camp at home after the country was hit by an Ebola outbreak
For Arsenal, the time is right and the Lord has made it happen
When Patrick Paul Vieira lifted Arsenal’s English Premier League trophy in 2004, petrol in Kenya was retailing at Sh64.99, Diesel was Sh51.60, while kerosene went for Sh38.19.
Julius Yego's exit beckons after his last African show in Ghana
The 37-year-old javelin star is set for his last World Championships and Olympics next year and 2028 respectively.
It's fresh faces and familiar rivals as Stars prepare for 2027 Afcon
Coach McCarthy has named five new faces in Harambee Stars squad.Kenya to face South Africa, Guinea and Eritrea in 2027 Afcon qualifiers.,
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS