Billionaire says he has the money to buy Arsenal

Football
By Reuters | Apr 28, 2021
Football - Europa League - Quarter Final First Leg - Arsenal v Slavia Prague - Emirates Stadium, London, Britain - April 8, 2021. Arsenal's Granit Xhaka, Alexandre Lacazette, Gabriel Magalhaes and Willian. [REUTERS/Dylan Martinez]

Spotify CEO and founder Daniel Ek said on Wednesday that he has secured funds to test the resolve of Arsenal owner Stan Kroenke in a bid to buy the Premier League club from the American billionaire.

Kroenke and his son and director Josh put out a joint statement on Tuesday saying that they remain "100% committed to Arsenal" and were not interested in selling a stake in the club despite furious backlash from the fans.

Thousands of fans protested outside Emirates Stadium last week after the club's failed attempt to form a breakaway Super League with 11 other top European sides, leading Ek, an Arsenal fan of 30 years, to throw his hat in the ring to buy the club.

"I want to establish trust with fans and I want to engage the fans again," Ek told business channel CNBC.

Stan Kroenke in 2018 [AP Photo/Jae C. Hong]

"I'm very serious (about the offer to buy Arsenal). I have secured the funds for it and I want to bring what I think is a very compelling offer to the owners and I hope they hear me out.

"I certainly didn't expect that this would happen overnight and I'm prepared that this could be a long journey. All I can do is prepare what I think is a very thoughtful offer and bring it to them and hope they hear me out."

Arsenal, valued at $2.8 billion according to Forbes, were among six English clubs who signed up for the proposed European Super League project before withdrawing amid a storm of protest from fans, players and the British government.

The north London club are 10th in the Premier League standings and in the semi-finals of the Europa League. 

Daniel Ek, CEO of Spotify speaks at a Samsung product launch event in Brooklyn, New York, U.S., August 9, 2018. [REUTERS/Lucas Jackson/File Photo]
Share this story
Sh11 B more to beat AFCON 2027 deadline
Kenya requires an additional Sh11.02 billion from the Exchequer to  complete key stadiums earmarked for the 2027 Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON),
Universities raise the bar in KUSF games
The just concluded Kenya Universities Sports Federation (KUSF) Nairobi North Conference League has once again revealed the growing competitiveness of university sports in Kenya.
Ronaldo, 41, leads Portugal into his sixth World Cup
Veteran Portugal striker Cristiano Ronaldo will lead his country into the 2026 World Cup this summer after coach Roberto Martinez named the 41-year-old in his squad on Tuesday.
Kenya's Afcon dream is under threat as FKF officials fight
FKF president Hussein Mohamed insists the National Executive Committee meeting of April 24, which voted to suspend him, was irregular, unconstitutional, and in his own words, a coup.
McCarthy faces emotional South Africa reunion
Kenya's Harambee Stars placed in Group D for PAMOJA 2027 AFCON qualifiers alongside South Africa (Bafana Bafana), Guinea and Eritrea
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS