PSG not out for revenge against Bayern, says boss Pochettino

Football
By Reuters | Apr 06, 2021
August 23, 2020 Paris St Germain's Neymar after the match, as play resumes behind closed doors following the outbreak of the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) [REUTERS]

Paris St Germain will not have revenge on their minds when they play Bayern Munich in their Champions League quarter-final after losing to the German team in last season's decider, manager Mauricio Pochettino said on Tuesday.

Bayern beat PSG 1-0 in the final last year to seal a treble but Pochettino, who replaced manager Thomas Tuchel midway through this season, said this time would be different as they were playing a two-legged tie.

"The final is not a benchmark match for us, we weren't there with my staff, we were just spectators," Pochettino told reporters ahead of Wednesday's first leg in Munich.

"In addition, it's going to be played over two matches, the context is different. Revenge exists in sport but for us it's more of a challenge to beat such a strong team, maybe the best in the world. It's a source of motivation."

Both sides will be missing key players, with PSG striker Mauro Icardi out with a thigh injury while midfielder Marco Verratti and his Italy team mate Alessandro Florenzi both tested positive for COVID-19.

Bayern striker Robert Lewandowski is sidelined with a knee injury while winger Serge Gnabry tested positive for COVID-19 but Pochettino said the German league leaders had enough squad depth to remain competitive.

January 6, 2021 Paris St Germain coach Mauricio Pochettino [REUTERS]

"The strength of Bayern is in its collective," Pochettino added. "When you win the Champions League and the Club World Cup, it's because you have a very good group, not just 11 performing players."

PSG forward Neymar was sent off in a 1-0 loss to Lille over the weekend and Pochettino said the Brazilian's emotions got the better of him in his first Ligue 1 start in over two months.

"He was very excited to start a match. He's an emotional player, he likes to play, he likes to fight, he's a competitor. He didn't deserve that red," Pochettino said.

"But he knows he has to channel himself. I hope that tomorrow everything will be fine."

Share this story
Sh11 B more to beat AFCON 2027 deadline
Kenya requires an additional Sh11.02 billion from the Exchequer to  complete key stadiums earmarked for the 2027 Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON),
Universities raise the bar in KUSF games
The just concluded Kenya Universities Sports Federation (KUSF) Nairobi North Conference League has once again revealed the growing competitiveness of university sports in Kenya.
Ronaldo, 41, leads Portugal into his sixth World Cup
Veteran Portugal striker Cristiano Ronaldo will lead his country into the 2026 World Cup this summer after coach Roberto Martinez named the 41-year-old in his squad on Tuesday.
Kenya's Afcon dream is under threat as FKF officials fight
FKF president Hussein Mohamed insists the National Executive Committee meeting of April 24, which voted to suspend him, was irregular, unconstitutional, and in his own words, a coup.
McCarthy faces emotional South Africa reunion
Kenya's Harambee Stars placed in Group D for PAMOJA 2027 AFCON qualifiers alongside South Africa (Bafana Bafana), Guinea and Eritrea
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS