Everton's Alex Iwobi quits Nigeria camp after positive Covid-19 test

Football
By AFP | Mar 30, 2021
November 7, 2020 Everton's Alex Iwobi in action with Manchester United's Axel Tuanzebe [ REUTERS]

Alex Iwobi will not be available for Nigeria's final 2021 Africa Cup of Nations qualifier against Lesotho after testing positive for COVID-19 , officials told AFP on Monday.

Everton forward Iwobi tested positive before Saturday's 1-0 away win over Benin, and travelled back to Nigeria with the rest of the squad on Sunday.

FILE: Algeria's forward Baghdad Bounedjah (L) tackles Nigeria's forward Alex Iwobi (C) during the 2019 Africa Cup of Nations (CAN) Semi-final football match between Algeria and Nigeria at the Cairo International stadium in Cairo on July 14, 2019. ( AFP)

"Iwobi has left the camp," Eagles spokesman Babafemi Raji told AFP.

"Before he left, he did not show any symptoms, he was fine."

Iwobi, 24, has scored twice during the qualifying campaign for the delayed Cup of Nations, which will be hosted by Cameroon in January next year.

Nigeria's win over Benin guaranteed them top spot in Group L although they had already qualified before kick-off thanks to a goalless draw between Lesotho and Sierra Leone.

Gernot Rohr's side have 11 points from five matches and are seven points ahead of third-placed Sierra Leone, with the top two teams in the group qualifying for the tournament.

Nigeria host bottom side Lesotho in Lagos on Tuesday.

Share this story
Universities raise the bar in KUSF games
The just concluded Kenya Universities Sports Federation (KUSF) Nairobi North Conference League has once again revealed the growing competitiveness of university sports in Kenya.
Ronaldo, 41, leads Portugal into his sixth World Cup
Veteran Portugal striker Cristiano Ronaldo will lead his country into the 2026 World Cup this summer after coach Roberto Martinez named the 41-year-old in his squad on Tuesday.
Kenya's Afcon dream is under threat as FKF officials fight
FKF president Hussein Mohamed insists the National Executive Committee meeting of April 24, which voted to suspend him, was irregular, unconstitutional, and in his own words, a coup.
Kenyans now shift focus to Commonwealth Games after shining at Africa meet in Accra
After an overall second place in the continent at the 24th African Senior Athletics Championships, Kenyan stars have firmly set their sights on the Commonwealth Games in July.
New motorsports body up and running with autocross action at Stoni Athi
There was jubilation as fans welcomed the recognition of Motorsports Kenya Federation by the government as the official and legitimate motorsport governing body in the country.
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS